How Do I Get 7" Deep Ceramic Tea Cup Cake To Cook Prope

Decorating By Bossy Updated 27 Jun 2008 , 4:57pm by Bossy

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:37pm
post #1 of 5

I'm going to bake a cake in a giant ceramic tea cup. The cup is 10" across at the top and 7" at the deepest point. What can I do to make sure the middle gets cooked without buring the edges?

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:46pm
post #2 of 5

Well I'm curious why are you doing that? If I wanted to serve a cake in a cup like that, I'd bake it in pans and carve it to fit and put it in there.

Umm if you want to get a cake to look like the cup by baking it in there to get the shape, once again I'd bake it in pans and sculpt it to get it into that shape.

Not all ceramic is made to bake in.

But to answer your question, I'd put something in there to help conduct heat like a folded piece of aluminum foil (stand it up in the bottom of pan)but still the ceramic might not survive the oven heat and baking process. And adding something metal kind of ramps up the iffy-ness factor y'know? But that's how you get really deep substances to bake off. And after it gets baked on top you can lay a pice of foil on top of it too will add a little baking boost there.

Bossy Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:10pm
post #3 of 5

Here's the cup that she wants the cake presented in. I will also be maing some "tea cup" shaped cup cakes to go with it! I think the idea to bake the cake and carve it to fit would be best?
LL

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 5

Yeah I mean you can use a cool recipe like tiramisu or something too. Or a thing with a bunch of fruit or tres leche (maybe too deep for tres leche I don't know) or just stack some layers in there y'know like swipe each layer with icing first because it'd be more difficult to get your spatula down in there to evenly distribute but no worries either way. And I mean no special carving necessary. Just cut & layer it in there and you're golden--let the cup do the hard work.

Y'know I'd look at Colette's newest book and do a swirly on top or something too like a steam waft. Just an idea. She's got a lot of cuppy ideas.

Keep it simple! Way cool!

Bossy Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks! I guess as cake newbie I was making it more complicated than it needs to be! I was thinking of making a swirled top with a combo of white & chocolate ganache and a stand up steam swirl from white and dark chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%