So, I Really Want This Book, But...

Decorating By nefgaby Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 3:08am by lflowermoon

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 7:01am
post #1 of 18

... check out the price!!! icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0969252307/?tag=cakecentral-20

Crazy, ha? The book is OOP and I really want it! Does anybody know of any other book store online? I already checked ebay and half and no luck! icon_sad.gif

I would love some suggestions... Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

Oh yeah, and I already asked the author and she says she will never reproduce that book again, EVER!

17 replies
SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 7:37am
post #2 of 18

I'm no help, but I can relate! I found a super "old school" Wilton encyclopedia at the library and loved it. It had so many great piping ideas. There are 3 or 4 different ones and, of course, all are out of print. They're from the 70's. I've checked e-bay and I just can't fork out that kind of money!!!
Good luck to you!!

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 7:56am
post #3 of 18

WOW! That is craziness! Can you go to the Library & make copies of good pages? I wonder why she wouldn't reproduce the book... maybe her publisher? I would suggest that you keep checking ebay periodically - I think they may actually have a way of sending you notification if something you want comes up for bid (it's been a while though). I'm sure you've searched via google or yahoo... sheesh, I just wish I could help you!

newsums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newsums Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 9:18am
post #4 of 18

Hi there, don't know if this helps but they have it on www.amazon.co.uk for £15.00.

Dawn x

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 9:19am
post #5 of 18

. . . I don't know anything about this book . . . but OOP books can command a good price . . . I would keep trying ebay (but you may have to pay a pretty penny if you are bidding against someone else that wants it just as badly as you do) . . . but atleast you know how much is "reasonable" for this item based on the amazon price list . . . another way to look at it is as an investment . . . chances are the book will hold its value (possibly even increase) . . . so I guess it all depends on how badly you reeeally want this book . . . (what can you tell me about it, as I said, I don't know anything about it) . . . I have successfully brought books in from overseas to Canada . . . . . perhaps you can too . . . http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0969252315/ref=dp_olp_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1214558487&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0969252307/?tag=cakecentral-20 (says "temporarily" out of stock)

SplendidMissM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SplendidMissM Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 6:46pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Quote:

Can you go to the Library & make copies of good pages?

I wouldn't do that, it's illegal. (copyright violation) thumbsdown.gif

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 1:19am
post #7 of 18

How about overstock.com? Good luck!

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 11:22am
post #8 of 18

www.abebooks.com is also a good source for finding used books

nefgaby Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 3:37am
post #9 of 18

Thanks ladies! I tried Amazon UK BUT even though it is listed, it says underneath that it is out of stock... I'll try Amazon CA!

Thanks! I'll keep on checking eBay!

And my local library, they don't have it. I wouldn't make copies but at least learn as much as possible while I have it!

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 4:01am
post #10 of 18

eBay has a new Want-It-Now feature. You post a listing for an item you want and the amount you want to pay and the sellers come to you. I don't think you have to pay to do that either.

auntsteff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsteff Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 4:23am
post #11 of 18

Making copies of a book for yourself is not copyright infringement.

IF, however, you were making copies of a book to SELL, that is copyright infringement.

When I used to do counted cross-stitch on a regular basis, I would photocopy the original pattern, so that I could use it again. Sometimes I would even make the copy larger than the original to make it easier to read.

Even Kinkos allows that type of copying without question, as long as you tell them the copies are for your personal use.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 3:24pm
post #12 of 18

my local library didn't have that book either *but* they were able to search for it in other libraries around the country and found it in Georgia, it think? at any rate, maybe your library can do the same for you, if not, call other ones. i scanned the pages that i found the most useful...

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 3:28pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerBoudoir

www.abebooks.com is also a good source for finding used books

I second this site! I got one of my Wilton Encyclopedias frome here for $7.33!! icon_eek.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:44pm
post #14 of 18

http://www.cake-decs.co.uk/Section%208%20-%20Books.htm
BK72

Techniques in Cake Design (G. Randlesome) h/b
price: £9.95
copies available: 1

qubanqtee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qubanqtee Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:54pm
post #15 of 18

you could try www.alibris.com it's a site that specializes in finding hard to find books. I've found lots of books there. Good Luck

nefgaby Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 9:31pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

http://www.cake-decs.co.uk/Section%208%20-%20Books.htm
BK72

Techniques in Cake Design (G. Randlesome) h/b
price: £9.95
copies available: 1

Thanks!!! I sent an e-mail, hope they still have it and ship to the US! thumbs_up.gif

nefgaby Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 9:37pm
post #17 of 18

I also checed both websites for used book but NO luck! icon_sad.gif I'll try ebay again.... Thanks again ladies! You all rock!

lflowermoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%