Best Dark Chocolate Bc?

Decorating By handymama Updated 1 Jul 2008 , 1:39am by tame

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 3:17am
post #1 of 18

So I'm up to my eyeballs in painting and building my new bakery when my accountant calls late last night desperate for a cake this weekend. I had sworn I wouldn't do any cakes until this project is done and had held to it--until now. She wants it as dark chocolate-y as possible, including the icing, and it's just dawned on me that I've not actually made a chocolate decorator icing. Has anyone ever combined ganache with BC? Is there a choc. version to Sharon Sugarshack's that is dark chocolate? I don't have time to try various recipes--shoot, I don't have time to make the cake! But I said I would and so I shall. Sure could use an extra couple of weeks before the ICES convention, but that's another story. Anyway, what is a tried and true, to die for dark chocolate BC that pipes well?

17 replies
handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:34pm
post #2 of 18

Yikes! Anyone???

Tiababe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiababe Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 18

not sure if this gets to you in time....I am not familiar with Sugarshacks BC, but in one of Toba Garrett's books, she gives her recipe for Chocolate BC and she does add ganache to it. She also adds chocolate liqueur (like Godiva) to it. HTH

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:31pm
post #4 of 18

I've been looking for a recipe too!!! Do you have the recipe from Toba Garrett's book?

blue123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blue123 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 18

I use this for all of my groom's cakes and chocolate cake orders. It is soft, but it pipes well, crusts perfectly, and is really good. Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing ( Has no taste of the cream cheese)

1- 8 oz. cream cheese (soft)
1/2 soft butter (not margarine)
1 TBSP Vanilla (Dark- not clear)
1/2 cup Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa Powder
4 cups of powdered sugar

Cream the first 3 ingredients together. After it's creamed, add the cocoa powder and let it blend in slowly ( if you whip it, it will lighten it too much)
When that is complete, add the powdered sugar, and again, blend it in slowly.

This will frost a 1/4 sheet cake.

This recipe really is worth trying...I think you'll like it.

Lisa icon_biggrin.gif

Jmtreu98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jmtreu98 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:42pm
post #6 of 18

Hi Handymama -

This one is really good.
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup butter or margarine (I use butter)
1 cup cocoa or seven 1 oz. unsweetened dark chocolate squares, melted
1 teaspoon Clear Vanilla Extract (Almond Extract tastes really good too!)
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approx. 1 lb.)
4-5 tablespoons milk

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:45pm
post #7 of 18

I have not tried it myself but I've read other people's posts that they really like the new Hershey's dark cocoa powder. You could add that to your regular BC recipe.

blue123 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:49pm
post #8 of 18

Hey Handymama,

I just saw where you are from. My brother and his wife just moved back home with us down here in South Texas. He was from Cadillac, MI and was the assistant news director for 9 & 10 News. Can hardly wait to tell him. Good luck on your store. thumbs_up.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 3:00pm
post #9 of 18

I just add my favorite melted chocolate (milk, dark, whatever--straight up, not a ganache) to my buttercream while it's going on the stand mixer. I usually do a 1:2 chocolate:buttercream, and then thin out with a little milk, only if necessary.

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 3:22pm
post #10 of 18

Hi
I found a recipe right here on CC called Chocolate Decorator's Buttercream. It's really good, however, I always double the amount of chocolate to make it darker.

Good luck!

dg10148 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dg10148 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 3:28pm
post #11 of 18

Toba Garretts recipe is on Epicurious web site

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 3:50pm
post #12 of 18

WOW!! These all sound so good!! After I get this cake done for Sunday I am going to try some of these!!!

Marysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marysmom Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 4:16pm
post #13 of 18

I was going to suggest a Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing just like the one Blue123 posted. The first time I made it, I just about died. It is sooo good and sooo chocolately. That's the one I'd use for sure!

blue123 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 11:51pm
post #14 of 18

Sorry, When I posted the recipe for the Chocolate Cream Cheese, I wrote 1/2 of butter....it is 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter...not margarine.

kelsiedelizzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelsiedelizzle Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 12:58am
post #15 of 18

This is what I know:

you could make whipped ganache, using a DARK chocolate in your recipe (like 70% or something)

or I liked to add melted baking chocolate to my shortening/butter during the creaming stage of my buttercream. Around 4 oz.

Or follow any of the delicious recipes posted here.

Anyone else's mouth watering?

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 9:50am
post #16 of 18

Probably too late for you. In case you don't have SugarShack's chocolate version substitute Hershey's Dark Chocolate cocoa .

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-580451.html

Kelley

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:02am
post #17 of 18

Here's a link to Toba Garrett's chocolate b/c (with ganache):

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/CHOCOLATE-BUTTERCREAM-109248

HTH

tame Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tame Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:39am
post #18 of 18

hershey's dark chocolate is great I have a picture of a cake in my photos (it is the one made to look like a chocolate basket with strawberries) in I use this and it was just the dark chocolate that I had being looking for

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%