I'm In Petit Four He Double Hockey Sticks!!!

Decorating By terri-jo Updated 3 Jul 2008 , 12:33am by mgdqueen

terri-jo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terri-jo Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:54am
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone,

Just need to vent. I have a cake due for a wedding Saturday. It's an 8 inch round top cake with 150 petit fours on a cupcake stand. So you don't want cupcakes, I asked hopefully? No, he says, they're a bit retro for us. We want petit fours. The second groom doesn't want a whole cake because he hates fondant, but we want the look for the top cake. Nope, petit fours is what we want. Sure, I say, no problem. OMG, what a mistake. Ok, my fault because I've never done petit fours...how hard can they be??? Well, my levels were off (torting a sheet...bad idea for me). My poured glaze hardens before I can get them covered, and oh yeah...fingerprints on elegant little cakes? Not so elegant. I about ready to cry. Not to mention that the 8 inch is baked and thats it!! They're tipping over on the rack, and I'm about to throw in the towel...not to mention throw myself off a bridge.

10 minutes later...phone rang...it's him, groom number one who is a paying client but also a friend. He asks how things are going, and I gave him a watered down version of the hell I'm in. I asked how he felt about cupcakes....Cupcakes? Oh sure, we don't care. WHAT?????? ARRRRGHHHHHHHHH!!!! So, back to baking, but at least I'll avoid that bridge for another night. Thanks for listening...just really needed to vent.

Have a lovely night, everyone. I think I'll avoid the nightmares too!

Teresa

7 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 2:22am
post #2 of 8

Oh, you poor thing. icon_eek.gif

Indydebi always says that the smaller the item, the more labor intensive and PITA it is - and charges accordingly. tapedshut.gif

I'd think for a wedding, cupcakes would be a better choice than petits four.... You can really jazz up a cupcake but how much decorating is possible on a 1x1x1 piece of cake. icon_smile.gif

Thank heavens for Groom #1. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

I'd suggest a nice relaxing adult beverage, but you still have your hands full.....

Look forward to seeing pics of your cake & cupcakes!

terri-jo Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 2:30am
post #3 of 8

Thanks Jan, I really do feel better now. All the little gumpaste flowers and bows I've made will look great on cupcakes. My hands are tied right now because I have to wait for my husband to come back from a gig with more groceries. Thank heavens for 24 hour markets! My three little ones are sleeping, so I feel like I should be working!! Maybe I'll take you up on your suggestion of an "adult" beverage! Thanks for the encouraging words.

Teresa

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 3:07pm
post #4 of 8

Petit fours suck, plain and simple. I'll do mini pastries and tartlets any day over petit fours.

terri-jo Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 8

Two words on the subject...NEVER AGAIN!

terri-jo Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 11:53pm
post #6 of 8

Well, it's days later, and I don't know if anyone will see this, but I thought I'd let you know how it went. The cupcakes came out fine, and I was able to use the little fondant decorations I had made for the petit fours on them. My top cake came came out better then I thought it would (it matched the invitations) and the couple were thrilled. Here's a pic...
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1239342

Thanks for those who had an encouraging word. It made all the difference!

Teresa

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 12:11am
post #7 of 8

You are right the top cake is gorgeous and the whole display turned out beautiful--cuppie cakes are cute.

A thought for the future, the fingerprint thing, they make these little cotton gloves you can use for handling chocolates--I mean you may or may not ever attempt this again--I'm not going there because I feel yah-- I'm just saying those little gloves you can get at cake supply stores eliminates fingerprints on stuff.

Lovely lovely work!

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 12:33am
post #8 of 8

Sorry you had such a bad time with these! I have not attempted them but I think they always look so nice when they are done correctly. I'm going to have to experiment for a "non-pressure" situation! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%