Which One, Gumpaste Or Lambeth Class?

Decorating By bikegal Updated 11 Aug 2005 , 11:18pm by JennT

bikegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikegal Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 10

I can take one class this fall from Wilton but I can't decide which one. This is the first time I've seen Lambeth/Australian method class being offered, not sure how often that comes around. I just love the look of those cakes. The gumpaste class is going to be with Nicholas Lodge, yay. Aargh, I need to make up my mind quick. Someone nudge me, I've been pingponging all day long. icon_smile.gif

bikegal

9 replies
alengirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alengirl Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 10

What's the Lambeth method? I honestly have no idea icon_redface.gif

bikegal Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 10

This website has a cake in the Lambeth style. //www.winbeckler.com/cakes-marshas.asp All I know is that it involves a lot of royal icing, time and patience but absolutely beautiful cakes.

bikegal

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 10

Here's the Wilton's course discription on it.

http://www.wilton.com/classes/wiltonschool/class.cfm?id=1279F311-475A-BAC0-5F1294A57DA660EB

That is hard to choose. Gum paste instruction would probably be used more, but you don't want to miss the Lambeth if you think it might not be taught again for a while.

I hope to go to some of thoose classes one day too. Good luck which ever one you choose. thumbs_up.gif

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 10

IMO unless you do ALOT of heavily detailed wedding cakes, or want to get into doing them, or already have a very established business, it might not be worth it. Did I read the cost of the class correctly??? $75 registration and tuition $475????????????? Please fill me in if I seem clueless about the cost of classes, but that seems crazily exorbitant to me!! lol icon_eek.gif I would only take the Lambeth class if I knew I could recoup some of the cost of the course by making and selling those cakes. And the people that can afford a cake like that don't come along everyday or in pairs!! lol icon_razz.gif Gumpaste, on the other hand, can be used on everyday more affordable cakes for most people. And while time consuming to work with, I'm sure, it is probably much quicker and easier to work with than doing all those swags, lace, overpipings, etc. they use with Lambeth technique. Also easier & quicker, in my mind, to make a profit with gumpaste techniques/knowledge, too.

On the other hand - if this is just something you want to do for you for fun, and you've got the $$ to spend on it....GO FOR IT GIRL!!! lol icon_wink.gif But I can promise if I tried the Lambeth technique I'd end up with permanently crossed eyes and my fingers and hands stuck in a pastry bag death grip for life!!!! lol icon_razz.gif

Just MHO.... icon_redface.gif

Jenn

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 9:38pm
post #6 of 10

That is pretty normal cost wise.

https://www.wilton.com/classes/wiltonschool/register/

That's a list of classes and fees.

It does say that the Labeth will be taught in 2006.

JennT Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 9:46pm
post #7 of 10

Are these the same classes they offer at places like Michael's?? And why is everything so dreadfully expensive? Do you get products that come along with your classes or other freebies? I've never taken a class before, but we just over the past month have a Michael's store that opened only about 25 miles from me....the only other ones are 60-80 miles away, so I never considered it before. But if all of the Wilton classes are that expensive, it'll be a long time before I can afford to take one. I was actually hoping to take one this fall.....hhhmmmm icon_sad.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 9:55pm
post #8 of 10

This is just my opinion, but I'd go with gumpaste. Lambeth is a little old fashioned, and not used as much. The trend right now is for gumpaste flowers and decorations. Plus, I'd just rather work with gumpaste than do all that piping.

bikegal Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 10:52pm
post #9 of 10

JennT,

The classes at Michael's aren't that expensive. I think my first class was $12.50 kit not included. It's when you're getting into the advanced/specialty classes that it starts to get expensive. Okay, I think I'm going to go ahead and do the gumpaste class. Thanks ladies!

bikegal

JennT Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 11:18pm
post #10 of 10

okay, thanks bikegal! I was starting to wonder how all these beginners were affording classes...lol

Jenn

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%