I Am So Scared Of Red Velvet Cake!!!!

Decorating By BellaSweet Updated 1 Jul 2008 , 1:04am by Jenn123

BellaSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaSweet Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 14

So I just got a request for a red velvet cake. OMGosh!!! I have never made red velvet cake. My husband doesn't like, so never really had a desire to make it. I have never had it either. So the bride wants red velvet with buttercream because she wants the icing to be white-white. I use box mixes, just not sure if red velvet is any good. And am wondering if buttercream even tastes good with it icon_confused.gif Can anyoen help me? I really dread red velvet cake. I quess it just seem like a really intense cake to make.

13 replies
barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 14

I've never liked the Red Velvet cake box mixes. Never could understand why everyone was so ga ga about it, kinda tasted like choc cake to me. I saw this on Food Tv and thought I'd try it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_36737,00.html

Now I love Red Velvet as long as it is this recipe.

Barb

BellaSweet Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 14

ooooh!!! Is this the one where the cupcake girl made those huge cupcakes?!!!

barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 14

Yep! They are as good as they look.

Although, make sure you WEIGH out the sugar and flour, or use a conversion to get the right amount, the first time i made them I did it wrong, but it still tasted good.

Barb

BellaSweet Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:20am
post #5 of 14

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Sweeet!!! I think I might try those out on the girls at work. Thank you so much!!!!

atschnet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atschnet Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 5:19pm
post #6 of 14

My family and I LOVE Red Velvet cake. I have a really good recipe that uses a devils food cake mix. It doesn't turn out as heavy as the one from scratch and taste great. This is actually the recipe that was used in my wedding cake. If you want it just let me know and i'll get it to you.

sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 3:53am
post #7 of 14

I prefer a scratch red velvet too (one of my fave cakes) but if you really prefer a mix, see if you can find Mam Papaul's brand.
It is simply fantastic and has an icing base you can choose to use or not also.
I keep one on hand for emergencies and it is really good.

Red velvet is wonderful! icon_smile.gif

allee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allee Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 11:19am
post #8 of 14

Red Velvet is my fave! It's really not scarry, kind of time consuming if making from scratch, but worth every minute to me. I have a recipe on here (Southern Red Velvet Cake). I have used the mix and it just doesn't have that taste that I love, but if you take about 1/3 cup of cocoa and mix with just enough vinegar to make a paste, then add that at the very end, it will make a big difference in the box mix taste. Not exactly like from scratch, but much better than the mix alone. HTH

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:59pm
post #9 of 14

Can someone who does scratch baking please explain for me the difference between red velvet and chocolate cake plus lots and lots of red food coloring? (No scratch versus box comments please-- but "it comes from a different box" isn't the kind of answer I'm looking for here.)

allee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allee Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 5:24pm
post #10 of 14

Well, for me (and in my humble opinion only) the difference is 2 things. First, what makes it chocolate is the paste made of vinegar and cocoa. That gives it a bit of a "twang" (sp?) that regular chocolate cake just doesn't have. The other thing is that it is made with buttermilk instead of water or plain milk, which also adds to "twang" as well as making it moist. Like I said, my opinion only, but I am the 4th generation making it the same way and my family loves it. Hope that helps some.
Allee

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 5:28pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks, Allee!

BigTexinWV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigTexinWV Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:28pm
post #12 of 14

Duncan Hines has a Red Velvet cake mix. My bride also wants Red Velvet and buttercream, but I think this will not taste right! I am willing to do want she wants, there is no way we can do cream cheese- it is an out door wedding in Texas. Does Red Velvet and buttercream even go together? Also she wants the cake to be brown, not chocolate, but brown. I am thinking this is going to be one tacky cake.

NatalieJohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieJohnson Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:38pm
post #13 of 14

I've used buttercream as a filling and on the outside of the cake with red velvet. It has been a big hit. Other fillings are too complicated, unless it is simple like a bavarian cream.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:04am
post #14 of 14

I use Lorann cheese cake flavoring in my buttercream for a faux cream cheese. It really tastes good with red velvet. And personally.... I like DH Red Velvet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%