Just A Thought About Making Tastings Easier??

Business By jessieb578 Updated 14 Sep 2008 , 9:53pm by moxey2000

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 5:35pm
post #31 of 34

Oh gosh! I'm so sorry! I wasn't trying to attack! I'm just really curious. Thanks for sharing!!!!

Santa_Kitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Santa_Kitchen Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 6:28pm
post #32 of 34

Well, I read this thread and I need to add. Most of us, undercharge our work, until you realize that you do this because you love it and clients two. If you have a small amount of clients its ok, stick on your prices, because homemade cake can never compete with stores ones. When I started, I was super, super cheap, util my energy bill, came. Then, I realize, all the work that I have done will go directly to pay it, no,no,no. Then a realize that are 2 types of clients the regulars, and the shoppers ones. Obviously I do not want the last ones. But I do not go lower in my price, because I worth it. This happen one time. I went to a wedding, in which the bride was my husband coworker. She asked for a cake I give her my price, she don't need the tasting because she know my work, but she did not order the cake. Why, her fiance have a"good deal" from his cousin. The fun part was when I went to the wedding. Everyone complain about the cake, dry, bulgy fondant. It was obvious the lack of experience of his cousin. I left the wedding feeling so good. Then 1 year later, she call me to place an order. This time she even ask for the price first, it was her baby shower cake, we talk about the details, colors, servings, delivery. Then she confess me, that the wedding cake was the first fight they have after marriage, and since that day she is my regular client. About the cake tasting I charge $20, they have to come and pick it up. Includes four 4"x3" round cakes, individually pack, 4 flavors of cakes and icings (Wilton Cake Slice Boxes), non deductable of wedding price. I do not do a lot of cakes, 3 wedding cakes a month is enough for me, I work alone, but I book also birthday cakes and shower cakes. And I am firm in my price. My time and my work, will not be underestimate by nobody. We have to make an Association or a code of honor, so no client can take advantage of non of us. Good luck to everyone.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 7:19pm
post #33 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeLadyM

I always take the booking first, then if they'd like a sampling, it's just to finalize which flavors they would actually like..

I'm trying to understand this and I'm tired so please be patient with me. If the client has already signed on with you, why would they than pay you $75 to taste the 4 cake samples? Isn't that a little out of order. It's kind of like buying a car and than test driving it after the paperwork is finished.

If you credit the $75 back to them anyway, why charge it? I agree with jenn123, I think that does limit the potential client that may not want to spend $75 for a cake tasting. I'm sure not everyone signs your contract before the tasting, right?

I guess I just don't understand people signing a contract for a cake, placing a deposit and than as an afterthought saying "oh, by the way can we sample some cake?" icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 9:53pm
post #34 of 34

dkelly27: I thinks it's more like knowing you want your house painted, hiring a reputable painter (who, btw has painted several houses in your neighborhood so you know he/she is good) and then sitting down with that person to discuss colors, etc., and the painter having premixed some colors for you to look at. That's where the charge is, for the premixed colors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%