Help! Ive Never Worked With Gumpaste!

Decorating By alicialee Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 8:41pm by kyhendry

alicialee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicialee Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 6

okay, so im not a newbie, but ive never worked with gumpaste, only with MMF. can someone please tell me the difference! Im going to be making about 20 bows to put on a cake in a couple of weeks, i want to know if i should use gumpaste, and why? and how do i make it or where do i get it!?!? your help is GREATLY appreciated!

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 6

gumpaste dries much harder and faster than fondant alone. It can also be fragile. You can buy ready-to use GP, usually where they sell Wilton products. One package is more than enough for your bows.

I have found it to be a bit dry, so a little shortening will fix that right up.

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:51pm
post #3 of 6

personally i found gumpaste to be pretty tricky the first and only time ive used it so fary...but i was rolling it into a snake shape for monogram letters. it might work better rolled out for bows. it does dry on you, i kept the crisco near by while i was working with it.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 6

I love working with gumpaste. The delicate flowers you can make from it are so realistic. Once dried, their shelf life is for ages.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:57am
post #5 of 6

I make all my bows out of gumpaste. I use Nic Lodge's recipe, only I tweak it. You can get them looking like real by putting them thru a pasta machine until they are REALLY thin.

HTH!

Jen icon_smile.gif

kyhendry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyhendry Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 8:41pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

I use Nic Lodge's recipe, only I tweak it.

Jen - how exactly do you tweak it for bows? I'm going to be making my first batch today to practice bows.

Kathleen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%