Car Cake

Decorating By m1m Updated 27 Jun 2008 , 1:31pm by mimi2004

m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:00am
post #1 of 11

I'm thinking of making a car cake for my son.

How would I go about elevating the body of the car itself so that is looks like a real car? I've seen pictures of cakes where the body of the car sits flat on the cake board, but this is not what I wanted to achieve.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks. icon_razz.gif

10 replies
edith123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edith123 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:07am
post #2 of 11

I'm so sorry that I can't help you but if somebody has the answer for that I would really like to know icon_biggrin.gif

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:11am
post #3 of 11

Ok I just made a truck cake and I glued styrofoam blocks to the board and then glued the board that was actually holding the cake to the blocks.

It's my first attempt so please don't laugh icon_biggrin.gif
LL

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:16am
post #4 of 11

I put the McQueen car I made on a styro base, you can get it at michaels, the thing is that I did not measure the height before I just cut the wheels on my cake and they were to high!!! icon_redface.gif well the idea was there but I coud not do it right I'll get it right next time for sure, so if you decide to do the base, make sure you measure before adding your wheels it's in my pics if you want to see it. icon_wink.gif

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:22am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by miny

I put the McQueen car I made on a styro base, you can get it at michaels, the thing is that I did not measure the height before I just cut the wheels on my cake and they were to high!!! icon_redface.gif well the idea was there but I coud not do it right I'll get it right next time for sure, so if you decide to do the base, make sure you measure before adding your wheels it's in my pics if you want to see it. icon_wink.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I did the same thing. Mine were too small duh! Also, I never thought about making it small enough to fit into a box so I ended up having to cut a 6 pack wine box to pack the cake up. It didn't fit all the way but I was able to saran wrap it and get it in the fridge. I know for next time.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:23am
post #6 of 11

I used Oreos to make the chassis for the little toy car cake for my grandnephew. (Sorry for the fuzzy pictures.)
LL
LL

dg10148 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dg10148 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:44am
post #7 of 11

I don't have a picture of my car cake but I can tell you how I did mine
I carved out the shape of the car 57 chevy convertible made gum paste tires and then added the tires and then carved about an inch all around the bottom of the car removed the excess cake wrapped the cake in fondant. Then I air brushed the bottom that I carved out black so it just looked like a shadow under the car. Hope this helps. I found lights that run on batteries they use in flowers in the wedding department of Michaels
pushed them in the cake the costumer called the next day to ask how to turn the lights off they never cut the cake he made his wife go to the store and get cake for everyone and kept having people over to see his car cake for 2 weeks.

jelmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jelmom Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:06am
post #8 of 11

I made a wiggles car and wrapped a book. It put it just right for the height of the wheels. Had to use what was handy.

m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 8:26pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks so much for all the responses. It definitely gives me a place to start!

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 10:07pm
post #10 of 11

I did this for the firetruck and the dump truck in my photos. I just used foamcore that was about an inch thick and wrapped it with black foil like for cake boards. That created the illusion that there isn't really anything there. icon_lol.gif

mimi2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimi2004 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:31pm
post #11 of 11

I bought a car pan at Michaels. It is the retro volkswagen bug and just modified it from there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%