How To I Make Horns?

Decorating By TeamZubert Updated 26 Jun 2008 , 3:28am by TeamZubert

TeamZubert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TeamZubert Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:51am
post #1 of 4

I'm looking (read: hoping) to make a cake shaped like a bull for my father-in-law (stockbroker). A few dilemmas, first, how to make a head that is going to need to lean forward in comparison to the body, and second, how to make horns and get them so that they stay in the aforementioned head, without weighing the head down so much it falls off. ARGH, how do I get myself in to these things?!?!

3 replies
CulinaryActor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CulinaryActor Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:22am
post #2 of 4

The horns could be made out of gumpaste or fondant and insert with some kind of stick. The head could be resting on something like a food thing or your father-in-law that would be funny but something sturdy could keep it up.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:33am
post #3 of 4

Welcome to CC!! Depending on how large of a cake you are talking here...you might want to do the head and horns out of RKT! Rice Krispy Treats and then cover it in fondant or even styrofoam. I am not sure how large of an animal you are talking but BIG horns out of something heavy might be a bit of a pain. RKT's are EASY to work with and are light in weight. Form it and frost it and cover in fondant like you would cake and you are done. The rest of the animal could be cake! HTH...Again, Welcome to Cake Central!!

TeamZubert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TeamZubert Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:28am
post #4 of 4

oooh, just what I need, one more excuse to make RKT's. thanks for the great ideas, I'll post a picture when I'm done!
And thanks for the warm welcome... I truly am addicted!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%