Is It True U Can't Decorate W/ Mmf?

Decorating By dcabrera Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 9:10pm by tobycat

dcabrera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcabrera Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:13am
post #1 of 28

My instructor told me u can only cover your cakes w/ mmf. I've read other post and people have said they've decorated with it. Help, I'm so new to this. Also, does mmf always come out glossy looking? If so, what can u do to fix it? icon_confused.gif

27 replies
brogi2baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brogi2baker Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:15am
post #2 of 28

I use my mmf just like fondant. I have had no problems decorating with it, I really like the recipe on here Rhonda's Ultimate MMF. It is simple to make and use. I have people that hate fondant, like this.

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:40am
post #3 of 28

I have decorated with mmf before too, but will say that it's softer and doesn't dry as well as the other fondants. I wouldn't use it to make a bow topper, but other stuff would be fine.

dcabrera Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:01am
post #4 of 28

does it come out shinney?[/list]

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:49am
post #5 of 28

I roll my MMF out with cornstarch, and no, it doesn't not always look shiny, but if it's refrigerated for long it will get shiny IME...

A lot of people roll MMF out with crisco instead of cornstarch or powdered sugar, and that seems to make MMF always shiny.

Some people will STEAM their fondant to make in shiny... icon_rolleyes.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:53am
post #6 of 28

I use MMF to decorate all the time. If you look in my photos, anything done with fondant was done with mmf...that tree I made, the balls on wires, bow toppers, etc...

It doesn't come out shiny unless you use too much crisco to roll it out, or put it on a frozen cake. If you want to make it shiny, you can paint it with one of the dusts.

tania9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tania9 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:21am
post #7 of 28

I use MMF to make figures, flowers and loopy bow topper thingos.. They all dried perfectly icon_smile.gif

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:51am
post #8 of 28

Ok. I am NO Indydebi or Sugarshack or Aine or other Goddess of cake and fondant, but I have done my fair share, and you can do anything with MMF that you do with any other fondant. if it is shiny (sp) you brush cornstarch or icing sugar on it. If you want it shiny (sp) your lube it up with crisco. If you want it sparkly you dust it with powder or paint it with powder and a liquid base (I like vodka, but that's 'cause I'm a bit that way, others will swear by clear vanilla).
If it is too "stretchy" you add more PS (powdered sugar, icing sugar).
You really need to work with it. I LOVE the taste of Michele Foster's. It's really buttery. And people who HATE fondant LOVE it. If you want quick and easy, use MMF. And you can make MMF in small amounts very easily. Good luck. HTH

dcabrera Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 9:59pm
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyle

Ok. I am NO Indydebi or Sugarshack or Aine or other Goddess of cake and fondant, but I have done my fair share, and you can do anything with MMF that you do with any other fondant. if it is shiny (sp) you brush cornstarch or icing sugar on it. If you want it shiny (sp) your lube it up with crisco. If you want it sparkly you dust it with powder or paint it with powder and a liquid base (I like vodka, but that's 'cause I'm a bit that way, others will swear by clear vanilla).
If it is too "stretchy" you add more PS (powdered sugar, icing sugar).
You really need to work with it. I LOVE the taste of Michele Foster's. It's really buttery. And people who HATE fondant LOVE it. If you want quick and easy, use MMF. And you can make MMF in small amounts very easily. Good luck. HTH

This was so helpful. Thank u. icon_biggrin.gif

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 10:10pm
post #10 of 28

I used mmf for my hibiscuse cake.. easy to work with.

4laynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4laynes Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 12:42am
post #11 of 28

I can't find the recipe for Rhonda's Ultimate MMF. Can anyone help me?

Bev

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:01am
post #12 of 28

You can look in my photos. Any fondant you'll see is MMF. I've never used any other kind.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:11am
post #13 of 28

Same here. Only have used mmf. All my pics. Works great.

Stpehanie

dcabrera Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:12am
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdawn

You can look in my photos. Any fondant you'll see is MMF. I've never used any other kind.

WOW icon_biggrin.gif

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:16am
post #15 of 28

Wow your instructor does not seem to have that much experience.

You most certainly CAN use MMF to decorate a cake! Most of my fondant cakes are covered and decorated with MMF. In my experience it dries better (faster & harder) than regular fondant.

Have fun with it!

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:25am
post #16 of 28

Sounds like your instructor is suffering from a bit of MMF snobbery! lol - just kidding.

I only use mmf because I don't do enough to justify buying a bunch of the "real" fondant. I like it though and have gotten so used to it's quirks and how to fix them that I would miss them if they weren't there.

All the fondant you see in my pics is fondat. You CAN decorate with it, but you do need to know how to make it harder, like using gum-tex or something like that. Like anything else, it just takes time.

HTH - S.

Hawkette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hawkette Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:26am
post #17 of 28

I use MMF a lot and love it. It's so easy to make. I've used it for bows (see my groom cake), and it works fine. Just be sure to leave LOTS of drying time. I dried the groom bow for 2 weeks. I've never noticed mine to be very shiny when I use white, although when I make black, it always seems shiny. I'm not really sure why that is. icon_smile.gif Good luck!

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:02am
post #18 of 28

I love MMF!I haven't had any problems decorating with it either. To me, it's ust bone of those things that kinda takes some trial and error. I too, use cornstarch to roll mine so no, it doesn't come out glossy. All my other experiences/tips have already been posted, so there's probably no need to reeat them all. Good Luck

doitallmom Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:42am
post #19 of 28

Here are the links to Rhonda's MMF and also another recipe that's an addendum to hers . It just uses a different tytpe of flavoring:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3183-1-Rhondas-Ultimate-MMF.html

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-5213-0-Addendum-to-Rhondas-Ultimate-MMF.html

dcabrera Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 4:33am
post #20 of 28

Thanks guys. I did try working withthe fondant and kept shrinking every time I rolled it out. I would add more confectioners and it would break apart. I ended up just using mmf for my accents. By the way, your pictures seem to amaze me more and more,

Misdawn Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:58pm
post #21 of 28

Thanks Dcabrera!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:12pm
post #22 of 28

You can decorate with MMF! Honestly, it is a little harder than Satin Ice (what I use) but it is great for budget reasons and tastes pretty good.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:35pm
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcabrera

Thanks guys. I did try working withthe fondant and kept shrinking every time I rolled it out. I would add more confectioners and it would break apart. I ended up just using mmf for my accents. By the way, your pictures seem to amaze me more and more,

If you are losing elasticity (sp) then you probably have too much PS in it. I've done it before too. I make more MMF and when it is still VERY wet I mix it into the fondant that is giving me the problems. And go from there. Good luck! Eventually you will learn to love fondant. of ALL types. But it really makes it easier knowing how to make your own, because then you aren't afraid to play with it, and you will learn to fix your own mistakes. HTH

dcabrera Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 7:25pm
post #24 of 28

Can u mix it with a KA? Is it better to mix in color when the mmf is wet or dry?

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 8:46pm
post #25 of 28

I'll be making my first batch of MMF tonight to start making some accents for a cake next weekend. I'm excited and nervous all at the same time! LOL

On a side note. I was at Walmart last night looking in the Wilton section and a lady and her daughter were eyeballing the Fondant. You could tell they were somewhat "new" to it so i told them about MMF and told them to come here for great recipes!!! icon_smile.gif

Misdawn Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:48am
post #26 of 28

I have always mixed MMF in my KA, but you have to make sure you watch it closely. I have heard horror stories of bakers that have burned up the motor in their KA when the fondant got too stiff.

doitallmom Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:20pm
post #27 of 28

dcabrera, you can add color either way. I find it best to add color when wet if you need a large amount of one color , though. If the batch is mostly for accent though, I just add color to the fondant as I need that color.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 9:10pm
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcabrera

Can u mix it with a KA? Is it better to mix in color when the mmf is wet or dry?

Yes, I do it always in the KA, BUT, you HAVE to keep it set on the bread kneading setting (#2 for the Artisan I have) or else you'll burn out the motor. I did that to my first one. Use the dough hook always. You can mix it in either way, but if you add too much, it will change the consistency of the MMF. It might make it break apart easier -- too wet. But, this is the trial and error process.

Also, be aware, some colors actually fade if they're left in the light too long. Pink will go white truly. Cover the cakes or accents or put them in a cabinet. If you can put it in a box even better -- cardboard only. Tupperware will make it go soft. Good luck!

S.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%