Fondant Cracking A Bit On Cake, How Can I Smooth The Cracks

Decorating By ladyonadune Updated 27 Jun 2008 , 10:22am by FUFULICIOUS

ladyonadune Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonadune Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:02am
post #1 of 11

Hi, my first wedding cake , first layer 14 inches , I got the fondant rolled out and on the cake but it is cracking slightly in places . Is there a way to smooth out the cracks ? Thankyou in advance,
a little freaked out icon_smile.gif

10 replies
MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:38am
post #2 of 11

Duff just spackles it royal icing! Use a beveled spatula and spread a tiny bit over the crack to conceal it.

ladyonadune Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:16am
post #3 of 11

Thankyou for that advice, will try that. Sure sounds better then a complete redo ! I really feel I am over my head with this cake but I have been doing the brides b-day cakes since she was little and she really wants me to do her wedding cake. Once I have the big layer done I think I will be homefree with the smaller layers.
Am so glad I found this site it has loads of good info and advice.

cvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvigil Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:45am
post #4 of 11

Wow MacsMom, I never would have thought of that! thank you so much for that little tidbit

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:48am
post #5 of 11

You can also try putting a little crisco on your fingertip and kind of rub the crack out.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:21am
post #6 of 11

or matching BC

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:31am
post #7 of 11

MacsMom, you always share great ideas!!! judge.gif Thanks, from me to! icon_smile.gif

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:56am
post #8 of 11

What I have done and seems to work is to take the leftover fondant (please say you didn't throw it out!!!), and take a small ammount and dip it into vodka or clear vanilla and make it into a mash and rub it into the cracks. Good luck!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:56pm
post #9 of 11

I have done what momyle said... it worked like a dream icon_smile.gif

ladyonadune Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:57pm
post #10 of 11

Thankyou everyone ! What I have done is made a smaller cake to practice all these ways to conceal the cracks. And no I didn' t throw out the leftovers, it is quite costly to get the readymade Fondant here. In the future I may try to make my own.
Thanks again icon_smile.gif

FUFULICIOUS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FUFULICIOUS Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 10:22am
post #11 of 11

THANK YOU LADYONADUNE FOR ASKING THIS QUESTION CUZ I HAD THAT HAPPENING TO MY BLACK CAKE YESTURDAY AND I HAD JUST READ THIS AND DID WHAT MOMMYLE ADVICED AND IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM. I WILL POST THE CAKE THIS WEEKEND

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%