New Orleans Wedding Cake Secret??

Baking By ckhagen Updated 27 Jun 2008 , 2:35am by cakebaker111

ckhagen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckhagen Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 6

I'm originally from New Orleans and I never realized until I moved away that there is a significant difference between a traditional almond flavored wedding cake in N.O. and elsewhere.

I've tried dozens of recipes and I cannot for the life of me, seem to replicate that white, light, fluffy cake and buttercream that literally blows you away with almond flavor. Seriously, you can smell the flavor from across the room.

I traveled home again for another wedding two weeks ago and I ate a piece that was about 5 inches thick and 4 inches across, it's that good.

Several times, I've tried to explain to bakers in other locales what I'm looking for (including for my own wedding cake) and they just don't seem to "get" it.

Now, does anyone out there know what I'm talking about and know how to replicate it? I'm dying over here!

5 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 10:20am
post #2 of 6

Maybe what you want is Wedding Bouquet flavoring:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-592120-.html

Have you tried the WASC cake, it's quite almondy!

http://tinyurl.com/2cu8s4

HTH

cakebaker111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker111 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 6

Maybe you are looking for the Almond Emulsion sold at Koerners on Jefferson Hwy, in New Orleans. That is what we use here in New New Orleans of course.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:58pm
post #4 of 6

LorAann's makes an Almond Emulsion. It's divine!

ckhagen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckhagen Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 6

maybe it's the almond emulsion because I usually do WASC and no matter how much almond I add it's just not even close. The texture of the cakes I'm used to getting (the Traditional NO Almond Wedding Cake) is much fluffier than WASC cakes too.

Is there a way I can order the almond emulsion? Or would I have to wait until I get back to get some? My mom actually attempted to order my wedding cake from NO and have my grandfather drive it to my wedding because nobody here in FL can seem to replicate it.

eta: I found a few places to order online. Which brand is the one that they sell at Koerners?

cakebaker111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker111 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 2:35am
post #6 of 6

it's made by koerners

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%