What To Do With Leftover Fondant

Decorating By lesn Updated 26 Jun 2008 , 1:21am by Lady_Phoenix

lesn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lesn Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 9

I made a big batch of fondant (my first time ever!! and it even turned out icon_biggrin.gif ) anyhow I used some for decorations on my cake but have quite a bit left over. Is there anything I can do with it? I'd hate to throw it away. Thanks.

Leslie

8 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 9

wrap it up very tightly in plastic wrap.
toss in a heavy duty zip lock baggie or into a plastic container.

store for up to 1 year. (can even freeze it)

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 9

i suggest a very light coating of crisco before wrapping.... it will help keep it from drying out should any air get in

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 9

oh, and if you have one of those vacuum sealer things....even better

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 9

When I have 'just a bit' leftover, [ to little to really save ] I like to make different molded flowers, bows, little bees...what ever that I might be able to use for a quick deco on a later cake.

Today, i had some fondant with tylose made to work on a brim for a cowboy hat I'm working on for Saturday. I used the leftovers to make molds that I can use with regular fondant after it dries hard as a rock! I took a silver button and pressed it into the fondant and will use it later to make a fondant version that I can use on the the trim on the cowboy hat . When it is hard you can dust with corn starch and use over and over again.

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:58am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisbqueenb

When I have 'just a bit' leftover, [ to little to really save ] I like to make different molded flowers, bows, little bees...what ever that I might be able to use for a quick deco on a later cake.

Today, i had some fondant with tylose made to work on a brim for a cowboy hat I'm working on for Saturday. I used the leftovers to make molds that I can use with regular fondant after it dries hard as a rock! I took a silver button and pressed it into the fondant and will use it later to make a fondant version that I can use on the the trim on the cowboy hat . When it is hard you can dust with corn starch and use over and over again.

That is really cool! Great Idea!

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:10am
post #7 of 9

Ooooh. I never thought of making a mold out of fondant! I'll have to try that.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:19am
post #8 of 9

i use the scraps for flowers and little bits and pieces after they're dried out (fast for smaller things) i put them in a storage container ready to use

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:21am
post #9 of 9

A few weeks ago, I had several different colors of fondant left over. Not enough of one for a cake. My daughter announced shes expecting so I made a cake for the daddy to be, rolled all the colors together and got a beautiful marbled fondant for his cake. I had some nasty tasting Wilton on hand in while that I used to make baby booties out of for the top of his cake. This is his first baby.... it was fathers day... and he cried. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%