Beach Cake Help!

Decorating By lbain Updated 26 Jun 2008 , 8:07am by OCakes

lbain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lbain Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 8:09pm
post #1 of 6

My friends birthday is coming up in about 2 weeks and i REALLY want to do the Sugar Corona Bottles for her because its her favorite so if anyone has tips they would be greatly appreciated!

My real problem is she wants a beach theme with yellow cake and chocolate icing! how do i make water and sand with chocolate icing????

5 replies
inspirations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspirations Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 8:13pm
post #2 of 6

I once did a Hawaiian cake that had a hula girl and sand...for the sand I used graham cracker crumbs. I iced the whole cake and then sprinkled on the crumbs to make the sand...they stuck to the icing.

mad11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mad11 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 6

You could do the sand out of light brown sugar. It won't take away from the flavor of the chocolate icing. I'm not sure how you would pull of the water without compromising the flavor though. I'm assuming she is wanting the flavor that the chocolate icing provides. I wonder if maybe you could flavor buttercream with a chocolate flavoring of some sort.

lbain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lbain Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 6

I know! I wonder if this could be done because that would be perfect. If not does anyone think if I covered in fondant and just made a slit for the bottles to push into the cake?? does anyone think this will work?

thecakebox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakebox Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 7:31am
post #5 of 6

I have seen chocolate extract but I have yet to try it...

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 8:07am
post #6 of 6

I don't know about your fondant idea, but I can tell you that I have frosted a cake with chocolate many times, and let it get super-firm & then I put a coat of white over it (or in your case, blue for the water)... even if a little chocolate came through, I think it would add a coloring texture, (or depth?) to your sea. You can go over those areas again as well. If you are doing more than one level, you can draw chocolate palm tree trunks up the side of the 2nd level (see my photo's for the hula girl cake as an idea - but that was a little kid cake)... if you make turtles, you can give them chocolate shells....... and your corona idea - I just went to the Kenny Chesney concert & they kept showing the Corona bottle(s) on a tree stump - and on a wooden table, etc.. more chocolate use there. Maybe you should make the beach cake & then a side cake just for her, which is a 3D corona bottle....... just a thought since it sounds like you're really going to have fun with this one. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%