Who Hated Their Own Wedding Cake??

Decorating By jessieb578 Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 11:55pm by Jayde

levinea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
levinea Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 12:26am
post #61 of 80

I feel so bad for everyone that hated their cake. My mom and I were just talking about my cake last weekend, and I was telling her how it would not be what I would pick today. Back then (2001) I had picked out an all fondant cake, with a quilted pattern and silver dragees where the diamonds of the quilted pattern met. My mom hated fondant though, so she made me pick something in buttercream. I didn't have another design in mind, so I just told the cake maker to "do whatever." I am so freakin' lucky that I liked it in the end!

The groom's cake was perfect though. And to this day all my family says it's the best chocolate cake they've ever eaten. I just have no clue why I put more thought and effort into picking out the groom's cake than my cake!

buttercup212215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercup212215 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 12:40am
post #62 of 80

i made my own wedding cake and was very happy with it . i used fresh green carnations and white roses. i got married on st patricks day

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:02am
post #63 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrier

I can see why people do not like their wedding cakes.... mostly when the people making then do not listen to what you "the bride" wants.

But.....

I loved, loved my wedding cake.... my Mom made it for me and it was perfect! We had a Fairy Wedding and she made three floating cakes, had the stands made to look like crystal, she covered the cakes in fondant and did almost like a stucco look with the , place fresh beautiful flowers on top and had a fairy that model each one of my children sitting on top of each cake.... It was BEAUTIFUL and PERFECT! I loved it!

terrier, could you please post a pic of it? It sounds lovely!

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:53am
post #64 of 80

Like so many of you I got married before I cared about cake decorating...and I let my mom handle the cake for me. I wanted an ivory cake with yellow butterflies and some bright multi colored gerbera daisies on top (to match my bouquet). My mother knows a retired lady who worked for many years at a popular local bakery who did the cake.

The cake was ivory, it did have yellow butterflies, but it was nothing exceptional to look at. At that time I thought it was pretty. I was not happy with the topper AT ALL. My mom is very traditional and sentimental. There were no gerberas...she had brought the topper saved from her wedding cake in 1976! A very tacky plastic bride and groom standing in a lace archway...UGH! We had a small wedding with very few people thank God not so many saw that! I got over it quickly (did I mention I was giddy?) especially when I tasted the cake! It was so good (traditional white almond with almond buttercream) and I remember thinking for the first time about cake decorating.

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:21pm
post #65 of 80

I got married in 2001 and a family friend of my husbands made our cake, for free for our gift. Which was wonderful! At the time I didn't care what it looked like. I wanted white and chocolate and I wanted daisies and I wanted to satellite cakes on the sides. Well that day I couldnt have asked for a better cake. She did the cornelli lace with floating tiers. It was beautiful and tasted great. Its funny now how picky I am and at the time I told her to do whatever she wanted! A funny story though the cake almost didnt make it. Supposably when she was on the thru way with the cake in the back to deliver someone was driving and pulling a boat. Well the boat was not tied down and It was a huge boat. Well the boat went flying and flipped right over the top of her car. Missing her car probably by inches. Needless to say thank god no one got hurt and the cake was great!

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 6:34am
post #66 of 80

I didn't hate my wedding cake but I didn't love it either. Back in 1995 fondant cakes were just becoming popular where we lived. The alternative was yucky royal or 7-minute frosting. I really wanted a fondant cake from one of the "it" bakers but it cost 5x the price of normal wedding cakes. Our whole wedding was a gift from my dh's parents and I didn't want to appear frivolous. The hotel (The Mandarin Oriental) where we had the reception included a cake in their wedding package and I chose to stick with that cake. It was supposed to be a standard package cake but because I had apprenticed there for culinary school, I charmed the chef into customizing the filling. The cake was vanilla genoise with lemon curd and almond praline filling. Off white buttercream frosting tinted to match my gown and fresh roses matching my bouquet. It was 5 or six tiers placed on staggered height stands. Fabric the same as my veil was draped around it. The cake itself was very clean, just pearls and a bead border. Thankfully it didn't follow the excessive styles of the early 90s. I just remember it being very, very delish - for a hotel cake.

On the plus side, perhaps not having to buy us a wedding cake, made my in-laws more generous so they gave us a honeymoon in Hong Kong too!

I don't have a picture of my cake but I found a cake with a similar look on the web, minus the trailing vines and the piped flourishes on the cake. http://www.weddingcakelady.com/Displays/float5.jpg

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:08am
post #67 of 80

we eloped too. got married on christmas eve, also hubby's grandma's bday..

i was pregnant but not the reason we got married then lol..

we told everyone we'd like to have a wedding on our first anniversary- everyone was excited for both our marriage And the upcoming wedding.. was told "oh we'll help" with expenses etc by inlaws..

well by the time we started planning... the amount of help offered kept dwindling... every few months i'd call family (my side of the family is not very close at all) ... to remind them etc..

i get to a few months before "the anniversary" when you start actually ordering stuff etc... i call my dad and my brother etc and get "oh i wish you'd have told me sooner so i could get time off"

what?!?! bull-oney.. they Knew. and by then assistance for the wedding from the inlaws was next to nothing cept for rides to a store or so to pick out things.

so we gave up on trying to have a wedding.. had no reception- no cake..

mebbe someday...

after all- i made my inlaws 31st (or was it 34th?) anniversary cake- wedding style.
(FIL's sister made the flower arrangement- i used the example for my 2nd wedding style cake- the very first wedding wedding cake see album)

i never was bothered about not having a wedding reception or cake till recently.. now i'm like.. "what?!? how could i have not?"

well i guess to find the silver lining.. must have been content enough to not notice i guess.. i'll keep telling myself that anyways lol..

i do wish though that we could have had a reception.. either by our own doing or some one else's.. and that- does bother me icon_sad.gif

AngiesIdea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngiesIdea Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:13am
post #68 of 80

Absolutely hated the taste! The cake itself was pretty and big but it tasted like crap. I think she prides herself on decorating only, but I think it should be just as much importance on the taste. It was greasy and heavy. No kick at all! icon_cry.gif My dear MIL knew somebody that knew somebody that recommended somebody that made pretty cakes. And she wanted to pay for it, so I let her handle it. In fact, we tossed alot of it out. We didn't care much the day of because we were off to a 7 day Carnival Cruise!! icon_biggrin.gif

That's My Story. And the lesson is choose your own caker!

KellJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellJ Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:00am
post #69 of 80

I loved my wedding cake but the only piece I got to eat was the little bite that my hubby fed me for the picture. We also had a grooms cake that I had asked my sister to put a piece back for us so we could eat it in the car on the way to the airport but the stupid caterer took it. So in the end we didn't get any of our wedding cake until our 1st anniversary.

loriann40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriann40 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:19am
post #70 of 80

I hated mine as well - but it was my own fault. It was supposed to have roses trailing up the 3 tier cake, but it wasn't until a rose fell out of my boquet that I remembered the 3 dozen roses in my garage that were supposed to be at the reception site by 9:00 am for the cake delivery. My neighbor brought them up around noon, but it was too late, so the staff at the reception hall decided to "help" by placing roses at random all over the cake - it looked like a porcupine....It did taste good though!

tcbalgord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcbalgord Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:45am
post #71 of 80

Well, I can't say I hated my wedding cake....after all I was married just 2 years ago. I thought at the time that it was so pretty and perfect for us. Now looking at the pics, I dislike it. I don't like the way they rippled the b/c and there were just too many flowers. Not to mention I HATE the base they used, looks like something from the 1970's.

http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t42/Sexy_fish_girl/?action=view¤t=362.jpg

I loved all the candles and lights and it was so yummy, but I think I would pick something else now. Oh well the price was right and I was too stressed to really think it over! i just pray everyone I make cakes for loves them!!

krystyne_wilson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krystyne_wilson Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:48am
post #72 of 80

I LOVED my wedding cake! My DH GMa made it for us as a gift. I had picked out the design over a year before we were married at a bakery that is now out of business. We had a beach themed wedding because we had initially desired a Destination Wedding...but we were 19!!! LoL My GodMother had a friend make the chocolates that cascaded down the sides. My DH GMa felt bad because the BC wasn't smooth but I think it makes it look like waves... I also only got the one piece from the photo-op but it was DELISH! She said she would make us a topper for our 1st Ann since she had heard that they don't keep well but by then we were off with the Army...Maybe I'll have her make us one when we get home icon_smile.gif

Here's the link
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_480583.html

edith123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edith123 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:14am
post #73 of 80

I'm making my own wedding cake in two weeks, I'll let you know how it goes! wish me luck thumbs_up.gif

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:46am
post #74 of 80

I wasn't decorating yet, and my husbands' friend made ours. She did exactly what I had asked her to, and she did a good job - however I asked for heart shaped, 3 floating tiers with 2 smaller heart cakes (one on each side of the main cake), frosted in white with some plum-colored basketweaving peaking out to match the wedding decor (she didn't get it dark enough, but now that I'm doing it, my swatch was VERY dark & would have discolored tongue's!)... so, I loved the idea of creating the cake, however I'm not happy with myself for what I planned. I wish I would have done a big square cake or taller tiers....... I had 350 at my wedding! I could have had a very substantial/monumental/gorgeous cake. I do wish she would have steered my thinking a bit - but I liked everything she mentioned & couldn't decide!
LL

mom2leelee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2leelee Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:53am
post #75 of 80

I loved my wedding cake. My photographer decorated cakes on the side so she did it for me..kind of one stop shopping! LOL

I had a small two layer 8" cake in the middle for use to cut w/ huge cupcake towers on each side. Cakes and cupcakes were devils food iced in the white shiny meringue icing. My mom calls it Rocky Mountain icing? THey were SOOO good!

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 9:44pm
post #76 of 80

I got married in 2001, and although I had decorated character cakes for my daughter when she was little, I had not decorated in a very long time and really had never thought about going back to it. I work in IT full time, and am just in the past year squeezing in time to do the cake thing, which is MUCH more fun than systems engineering icon_lol.gif
Anyhoo...we had a short and sweet JP wedding on Valentines day. The next day I went to work and my friend (she also introduced me to this wonderful man) had made me a wedding cake as a surprise.
Well...bless her heart, it was raw in the middle, looked like a white and ivory train wreck, was heavy and just all around baaaaad.
I told her I loved it - it was the thought that counts icon_smile.gif

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 10:20pm
post #77 of 80

I'm not married, but last year when I turned 30, I decided I would durn well have myself a reception and get a wedding-style came for it. Since my brother's birthday is the day before mine, he shared the party and got a somewhat smaller cake (still two tiers!).

Mine had chocolate buttercream frosting and fall leaves cascading down the sides (October birthdays), and my brother's was a dragon attacking a town. They were awesome cakes, though I wish the baker had done SOMETHING to hide where the tiers were stacked--a simple small bead border or something. And I wasn't ENTIRELY satisfied with the leaves; there were no really red ones in there, and I specified no green ones at all. But overall, I liked the cake and it tasted woooooooonderful. (White cake with mocha chocolate chip filling, chocolate cake with hazelnut cream filling, and for my brother, white cake with raspberry filling.)

Just one problem--the cake grew a tumor! And then on the way home with the leftovers (and who thinks a box that is not even the same size as a layer when flattened out is going to hold that much cake?) the icing fell off the sides! Regretfully, I won't use that bakery again even if I'm in that area. I just don't want to risk the cake not waiting for the party to end to fall apart.
LL
LL

feverfixer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feverfixer Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 4:12pm
post #78 of 80

I got married in 1991 and not many bakers were doing fondant at the time. I am from England and fondant cakes are standard over there. I made a lot of gumpaste roses because no one was doing that here either, and finally found a baker to make a 3-tiered fondant pillared cake with a frill the color of my bridesmaids. She refused to handle the sugar flowers, so I had to place them.
Having said that the cake was delicious!
The problem was our photographer sucked! Not one pic of us with the cake (actually not even a single pic of us alone at all on the wedding day!). So much for a good friend's referral!

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 5:27pm
post #79 of 80

My first wedding cake was an 80's disaster, but I was happy with it at the time. I was 22, and knew not of what I was doing. We found someone to replicate the sugar swans that were on my mom's wedding cake. Should have left the swans off, since they didn't bode well... The cake was three tiers with lattice pillars between and stairs to side cakes, and the fountain underneath. Don't have a photo, but it was what you are thinking. Burgundy and rose, lattice piping swags. The taste was grocery store bakery, even though it was a popular wedding cake shop. They're still in business, so some people must like it.
When DH and I married mid-90's, I made our cake. Our wedding was informal. It was three tiers, with 3" pillars under the top tier and the other tiers stacked. Basketweave sides in ivory, with silk flowers and ribbon, and a hideous porcelain topper. While I was happy with how it turned out, it took longer than anticipated to decorate and cut into my getting ready time. It was delish, we ate it all up within three days! (I made enough cake for three times the small guest list!)
For our tenth anniversary, we renewed our vows in Disney World. It was so much fun! I absolutely LOVED my cake from the Grand Floridian Bakery!! It was fantastic, meticulously decorated and tasted like heaven! We chose chocolate/chocolate mousse and almond/white chocolate mousse/fresh strawberries! So delicious! It would have been perfect if they had added the gumpaste blossoms I had asked for, but our coordinator wasn't as thorough as I'd hoped. On a lot of things.
We are thinking of renewing our vows for our 15th anniversary, so I've already started looking at cake ideas. Right now, we're thinking Las Vegas, maybe the Bellagio or Caesar's? A theme cake for sure! MMMMMM, I want wedding cake!

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 11:55pm
post #80 of 80

I loved my wedding cake. It was simple and elegant, off-white with cornelli lace BC, and real flowers. It was white and ammeretto flavored.

To this day I have NO idea what Dorothy put in my cake to make it taste sooo delicious. We got to be pretty friendly, she is the one who turned me on to cakes and decorating. I went and ordered a small 6 inch cake, the same flavor and the same decorations on top on every anniversary until this year. Dorothy had a heart attack and died in March, just 2 months before my 5 year anniversary icon_cry.gif .

Her shop was closed for a long time, and I had visions of re-opening it with me behind the wheel. I drove by it last week though and its not a independent insurance sales group now. I never did get the courage up to ask her what she put in the cake. I almost cried....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%