How Do You Not To Leave Finger Prints When Stacking A Cake?

Decorating By pshimondle2002 Updated 26 Jun 2008 , 3:07am by leah_s

pshimondle2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pshimondle2002 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 16

I've done a couple stacked cakes before and have trouble when I go to set the next level on, when I slide my fingers out it leaves a couple little imprints. I've looked now, for oh I'm sure a few hours and can not find any topics on this. Thanks so much for any advice! Rachelle in Idaho

15 replies
southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 16

Hi Rachelle,

Welcome to CakeCentral!

I now use the SPS system, so I don't really have this problem anymore, but when I did use dowels, I would leave the dowels sticking up about an inch. Then I would place the cake on the dowels and the weight of the cake would push the dowels down the rest of the way.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 16

If you are working with BC just chill it before you stack, cold BC is harder so it is more forgiving if you accidentally touch it. I use an off set spatula to minimize hands in the way. I think there is a you tube video that is about stacking cakes, give that a try.

Some people push the dowels in and then pull them out a bit so it slowly lowers the cake but I hvae never had any luck with this technique.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 6:46pm
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leannewinslow

Some people push the dowels in and then pull them out a bit so it slowly lowers the cake but I hvae never had any luck with this technique.

I had always done this until my most recent & I found out that a 4" round isn't heavy enough to push the dowels down.

I do have a ? though about stacking. How do you get it centered? I've tried tracing around a smaller cardboard or wax paper & I've tried to stack it "traditionally" where you put one edge down & then pull your fingers & offset spatula out & I'm left w/ uneven boarders.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 16

I do the dowels sticking out a bit and then let the weight of the cake sink them in fully - great method!

travelingcakeplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelingcakeplate Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 6:51pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncake

Hi Rachelle,

Welcome to CakeCentral!

I now use the SPS system, so I don't really have this problem anymore, but when I did use dowels, I would leave the dowels sticking up about an inch. Then I would place the cake on the dowels and the weight of the cake would push the dowels down the rest of the way.

The SPS system. Can you tell me a little more?

pshimondle2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pshimondle2002 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 7:50pm
post #7 of 16

Thank you so much for the reply's I'm going to try the rods being up a bit and also look into the SPS system. Thanks again you all are WONDERFUL

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 7:59pm
post #8 of 16

SPS can also make sure your cakes are perfectly centered, as long as you have placed the SPS plate on your bottom tier completely centered, your upper tier will be completely centered as well.

When I stack a cake I have both hands completely under the cakeboard, then I slide the cake onto the SPS plate, move my hands to the back or side of the cake, pull one hand out, grab a large angled icing spatula, place it under the cake, then pull the other hand out, then slowly pull the spatula out. If you are left with any mark, which is minimal, it will not be on the front.

I seriously don't see how pulling the dowels up and letting the cakes weight pull it down can be very safe. There is always potential for one of those dowels to go down at a slight angle which is not good!

misha35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misha35 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 8:25pm
post #9 of 16

this is another discussion thread...
http://forum.cakecentral.com/sps-thanks-leahs-ftopicp-5985664.html#5985664

this is the sight to buy them....
http://www.bakingshop.com/weddingcakes/cakestand.htm
I don't know much about the SPS system, but hear good things.

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 8:36pm
post #10 of 16

I do the same thing as the angeled spatchula except I use a hard sturdy kitchen knife. It doesnt bend and I can use it to hold the cake up. I also stackk from the back so any mistake marks are left back there.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 8:41pm
post #11 of 16

I use the sps and still chill my cake icon_smile.gif .. that way when I go to put my cake on the plate I never get prints.. icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 8:41pm
post #12 of 16

Oasis has the best price I have found for the SPS system unless you are a business then you can buy direct from Bakery Crafts.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:24pm
post #13 of 16

I use bubble tea straws, chill the cakes and drop.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:38pm
post #14 of 16

::wipes tears of joy::
So many SPS users!

It does make stacking easy doesn't it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:52am
post #15 of 16

I bring my spatula and use that to lower the tier. I'm usually adding a bottom border or ribbon anyway, so any smudges get covered up.

(leahs.....I'm in the process!! I swear!!)

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:07am
post #16 of 16

Yeah, Indy, better hurry up and join the cool kids club!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%