Am I Crazy?!

Baking By Alliekat66 Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 7:07pm by Alliekat66

Alliekat66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alliekat66 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 13

I just had to ask! LOL! I'm a newbie at cookies, but I have gotten totally addicted! Run down on me...I am a mother of 3 that are very active in sports, etc. Starting from Kindergarten on I have always done crafty things for them. My main passion was computer crafts, you can do lots of cute things for little money. Having three school christmas parties, valentines parties, etc you see where I'm going? Always something to do and a bunch of it. Well, my oldest graduated in 2006 and now my #2 will graduate in 2009. She is big in volleyball and golf and loves making gifts for her friends! (she has the crafty fever too)! I had to go back to work because of my husbands 3 back surgeries (which haven't helped!) so my time is more limited. Now back to my point....I made cookies last weekend because I wanted to practice, so they would look good for my daughters volleyball, graduation etc. I love it!! But I think it has been good therapy for me...I escaped in a world of cookies and I didn't want to stop!! We have really had it hard with all thats gone on with my husband, and then in march his grandmother that lived next door died from cancer, and a month later my grandmother died. I really think that I was on the verge of a meltdown, but I had more fun this weekend! And people are asking when the next batch was coming! What a good feeling! So my question is Am I crazy or do other people feel this way?!

12 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 13

IMO anything that uses your creative brain is great therapy! Especially when you are going through stress. So, if it feels good - do it!! icon_wink.gif

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 13

not crazy at all!
I had a little of the same thing.
I started cake/cookie decorating March '07. we found out my father had liver cancer last sumer and he passed last august. if I hadn't found my passion for decortating I know I would be in a worse state! especially this past father's day, I wasn't in a good mood, but I forced myself to make cookies (and cakes) and I felt so much better after!

thanks for sharing!!!

Alliekat66 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 13

Oh thanks to you both! That makes me feel better! LOL...it truly has helped me alot, I guess I didn't realize how bad I needed me time!! And the added bonus is that I'm doing for others too, and they are already asking for more at work and at home! The talent on this forum is unbelievable!! I"m so amazed!

Lisa2416 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa2416 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 13

I feel so much better that I am not the only one who can lose their stress while cookie decorating. My friends think that I am nuts, but they do enjoy all of the cookies. I have even gotten orders for cookies for friend's birthday parties. Other people think this is a chore! icon_biggrin.gif

Lisa2416 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa2416 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:33pm
post #6 of 13

I feel so much better that I am not the only one who can lose their stress while cookie decorating. My friends think that I am nuts, but they do enjoy all of the cookies. I have even gotten orders for cookies for friend's birthday parties. Other people think this is a chore! icon_biggrin.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:59pm
post #7 of 13

Put it this way - decorating cookies for your therapy is a whole lot cheaper than the doctor kind! I know it's the best kind of therapy for me and helps me to relax. I got hooked after seeing all the beautiful cookies in the CC gallery, and a year later I'm selling cookie cutter kits. Go figure.

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 6:12pm
post #8 of 13

My husband is a carpenter/craftsman and I used to be amazed (and a little envious) that he could work in his shop for hours on end, just making things, and whistling, and seem so content icon_confused.gif . When I started decorating cakes I found out what that was like for myself icon_biggrin.gif !! I can lose myself for hours on end and be perfectly happy just doing my thing thumbs_up.gif .

How nice for you that you've found your cookie making to be such a stress reliever. We all need something like that. Better cookies and cakes than some of the other vices that are out there icon_twisted.gif !!

Welcome to the club thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif !

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 6:18pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

Put it this way - decorating cookies for your therapy is a whole lot cheaper than the doctor kind!

Awesome! I need to tell my hubby this! (but I think he might want to do the math! icon_rolleyes.gif )

nanny4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanny4 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 6:30pm
post #10 of 13

I understand completely ~ I have a full time job and when I'm home at night, time just flies by, it's such a pleasure! Welcome to our world!! thumbs_up.gif

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 6:44pm
post #11 of 13

It is my personal experience that I am most happy when I am doing or planning things and my brain is full of creative and productive thoughts.

It is when I start thinking about myself (my problems, my sucky job, my aches and pains, etc.) that I really feel crazy.

So to answer your question...you are not crazy and if you keep busy, you won't have enough time to go there. icon_biggrin.gif

sugarplumfairycanada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarplumfairycanada Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 7:07pm
post #12 of 13

Hi,

I too understand what you mean. I am not a scrapbooker, although I really appreciate that art, but for me I can totally get lost for hours making fondant decorations like everyday objects and challenging myself making cakes. I work part time and have 2 little ones but this is just for me and I find it very relaxing at times. I do this when the kids have gone to bed and will pop in a movie in the dvd player to listen to while I am creating. The hours just seem to fly by. It's funny how many of us have stumbled onto this hobby and many have turned this passion is successful businesses!

Alliekat66 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 7:07pm
post #13 of 13

OH WOW! I went on my lunch break and came back and saw the welcomes!! Thank you so much! Definitely cheaper than the dr. lol....I have plenty of those bills with my husband.
Again thank you so much, I hope to get to know everyone, I feel great and inspired just by reading all of yall's posts!! (yes I'm from Texas, in the country actually, I can't seem to talk without the yall in my vocab!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%