Super Short Rant...

Decorating By mom42ws Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 11:11pm by crystalina1977

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:09am
post #1 of 23

I AM SO SICK OF CLEANING THE KITCHEN I CAN'T STAND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this really must be the WORST about baking. i HATE, HATE, HATE cleaning up buttercream. did i say hate? i meant HAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE cleaning up buttercream.

back to cleaning now. icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_cry.gif

22 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:11am
post #2 of 23

Does anyone wonder how that stuff gets on the ceiling? And it sticks like glue, forcing me to wonder why I am buying glue instead of just using BC. icon_rolleyes.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:14am
post #3 of 23

yes I HATE cleaning BC also... I find it EVERYWHERE... EVEN the bathroom icon_sad.gif

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:17am
post #4 of 23

Yeah, I hear you!! It stays clean for about 30 seconds at a time. ....and now I have all three kids HOME EVERY DAY making messes and constantly eating!!!!!!

mom42ws Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:18am
post #5 of 23

i mean, honestly. can you imagine what buttercream does in our stomachs? yuck. powdered sugar dust everywhere. crumb bits of frosting on the floor. it's endless.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:26am
post #6 of 23

hey i don't make such a mess! powdered sugar falls on the floor and goes all over the counter but thats it! HA!

icon_biggrin.gif

Joybeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joybeth Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:27am
post #7 of 23

I totally understand! The worst part for me is cleaning the mixing bowls and mixer...ugh!

LSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LSW Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:42am
post #8 of 23

At least all of you keep your mess in the kitchen! My worse day was when I unknowingly dropped some on the floor and didn't realize it until after I had stepped in it and tracked it all through the house on the new carpeting I had just gotten installed!!!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:42am
post #9 of 23

Oh I understand. I hate it too!!!

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:47am
post #10 of 23

ditto I hate it, but I try to clean as I go and that way I don't have a huge mess at the end, just a medium size. I empty the dishwasher before starting, and then just put the dishes in as I use them. I also keep a glass of water to drop tips in to as I go so they are fairly easy to clean at the end. I am by the means saying I've got it figured out just trying to keep it under control. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:48am
post #11 of 23

Its a good thing I love doing cakes or I would have quit long ago because of the cleaning up!!!!! I agree it is just awful!
\\
And mamacc I am in the exact same boat with three kids suddenly home all day everyday, definitely changing the cake baking and decorating experience!!!

Cascades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cascades Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:52am
post #12 of 23

My dream----Hire somebody to keep me company as I decorate and clean-up after as I work!!!!!!!!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:58am
post #13 of 23

i'm with ya sista!!! i bribe my kids to do it or i'll leave it 'til the next day when i'm not soooo tired! icon_redface.gif

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:07am
post #14 of 23

Honestly, i don't mind any of the clean-up, EXCEPT.. I HATE cleaning out my piping bags and tips. I prefer using the reusable rather than disposable, but the clean up sucks.
Oh, I found a bag of icing all assembled under my car seat yesterday. It was a "emergency fix" bag I had taken to a reception site with the cake. The event was three weeks ago - so if anyone wonders if buttercream stinks after three weeks in a car.... oh yes it does!!!

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:12am
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascades

My dream----Hire somebody to keep me company as I decorate and clean-up after as I work!!!!!!!!

I'm lucky to be a slob in a house full of neat-freaks. icon_razz.gif (okay, not really a slob so much as cluttered, but still, I'm not nearly as neat as they are...)

I'll make a cake, put it in the oven, go sit down for several minutes or check e-mail. My Magical Self-Cleaning Kitchen goes into action. When I get back, it's fairly clean, and my utensils and bowls are ready for icing. Make that, get it colored and stored, plop the bowl and paddle in the sink to soak ... go check e-mail or sit down to eat lunch....

You get the idea!

Fortunately, my in-laws (who live with us for now) are so bored that even doing housework is at least something to do. icon_razz.gif (I would mention that they could get jobs, but that's a whole rant that has no place here...) I think that they secretly look forward to my cooking/decorating days, so they'll have something to do constantly. icon_razz.gif And hey, it gives them something to complain about me. icon_razz.gif

my MIL has been known to stand over us as we finish the last few bites of dinner, so she can take the dishes and get them clean. We eat slower just to mess with her. icon_lol.gif

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:28am
post #16 of 23

I have to agree with all of you! I hate cleaning (anything)but what a mess buttercream makes. So now I keep my sink full of hot water and through the yucky stuff in there. When I am done it pretty much disoved. HOWEVER beware of clogging up your sink pipes. That makes a heck of a mess too. I had to snake my pipes and EWWWWW crisco is gross.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:24am
post #17 of 23

I don't decorate at home very often because I hate the clean up so much. When I do decorate now, I buy the cheapest paper plates possible and use them to mix my icing colors on. I use plastic spoons to stir the color in. I use disposable bags for the decorating. When I am finished I just clip the end off of the bags...throw the couplers and tips in a container to go in the microwave and throw the rest away. My mixer and bowl still get V.I.P. attention.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:41am
post #18 of 23

I have kids..they do the cleaning. And a lot of the mixing too. When the kitchen needs cleaning, I'm glad they're older... until they want to borrow the car.

Heh.

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:52am
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacc

Yeah, I hear you!! It stays clean for about 30 seconds at a time. ....and now I have all three kids HOME EVERY DAY making messes and constantly eating!!!!!!

OMG that is going to be starting for me on Thursday! icon_redface.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

What is it with kids just CONSTANTLY EATING?!

I'm hoping to print out a schedule for them (they're 10 & 6), and we're going to try and stick to the schedule as much as possible - wish me luck!

Just remember, that cleaning the kitchen/doing dishes/stuff like that - you will never be caught up with...it's an on-going process (that's what I try to remind myself when I'm so sick of it and don't want to do anymore - it'll only get worse! icon_cry.gif )

mom42ws Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:22pm
post #20 of 23

i think i must be the messiest person in the kitchen. when i'm washing dishes i'm soaked in water, the floors wet and all. i'm a little tornado that just moves through and leaves a disaster in its wake. i have every surface area used up and then, to look at all afterwards, is frightening.

ashley

boooo buttercream!

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:06pm
post #21 of 23

Glad to hear others rant about cleaning up BC! My 1926 kitchen has one of those drainer and sink, all in one, 8' long porclain sink units. The sink is only about 5" deep so doing dishes is like taking a dip in the pool and I have to bleach the frosting colors off the porclain when I'm done. Think about it, 8' feet of ridged white porclian, ugh! I'm remodling it over Christama Break this year and I'm getting granite counter tops!!!!! The worst ever is when I tried to make chocolate bowls that use a balloons dipped as the mold, OMG.... 2 of the balloons popped and I'm still finding chocolate a year later. It covered the entire kitchen floor to cieling. It even got inside the cabinets some how! If it wasn't Thanksgiving morning at the time, I propbally would have gone on strike and quit cooking for at least a week.

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:55pm
post #22 of 23

Try tracking CHOCOLATE buttercream through the house without knowing it... icon_cry.gifthumbsdown.gif

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:11pm
post #23 of 23

i married a guy who is a super-anal-neat-freak. problem solved!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%