Hula Girl Figure

Decorating By BREN28 Updated 28 Jun 2008 , 3:32am by punkyf

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 13

has anybody made a gumpaste figure of a hula girl? im trying to make one,but cannot get the legs and arms to come out right... ok, well i guess the whole thing looks wierd. i want it to be a stand up figure, and mine keeps tilting forward.anyway im going to start all over again,but was hoping to find a picture of one to go by. any help would be appreciated!!

THANKS!

12 replies
Pama2d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pama2d Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 13

I can't help you, but I need to know as well. I have a Hawaiian themed cake due in July. Hopefully someone can help us!!!

kwcraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwcraft Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 13

Wow, big theme. I have a cake due in July as well with the very same thing. I was thinking:

Use the mini wonder mold for the base, maybe cut it down a bit to make the grass skirt hang straighter. Use fondant for the grass skirt. use the Fairy tutorial modified to make the upper portion of the hula girls body.

I was just checking on here to see if anyone had already done one, and found this post. icon_smile.gif

Good luck!

indigojods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indigojods Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 13

Depending on what size Hula girl you want, you may be able to use the mini-wonder mold pan with a doll pick like kwcraft said. Here is a hula girl that I made using the full size wondermold pan that you could easily scale down with the mini wonder-mold.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=112033

If you want to make the whole thing out of gumpaste or fondant you can make a body and then use a clay extruder to make fondant ropes for a grass skirt.

Pama2d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pama2d Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 13

I'd like to make mine out of gumpaste.... does anyone know of a tutorial or template to make a gumpaste body? This will be my first time attempting any kind of figures. I'd love to be able to practice a bit before the actual cake is due. Thanks again.

BREN28 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 13

thanks kwcaft and indigojods, i like the idea of buying a doll pick and using a mini wonder mold for the bottom half. i did want mine to be small to go on to a sheet cake with other decorations,so this should work for me. indigojods, you did your grass skirt will buttercream? did you use the grass tip for that? anyway thanks for your ideas!!

kwcraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwcraft Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 13

When I make mine, I'm using the Fondant Fairy tutorial, but was planning to use gumpaste in place of the fondant. Heres a link to the fairy tutorial, just a little modification for making them stand up and hula is all thats needed:

http://cakecentral.com/article62-How-To-Make-a-Fondant-Fairy.html

K

tmt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmt Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 8:11pm
post #8 of 13

I was thinking the mini-wonder mold too. here's instructions from wilton using buttercream for the skirt

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/july/huladancers.cfm

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:40am
post #9 of 13

I recently did a hula girl cake and cupcake and I made the figures out of gumpaste and fondant in several pieces and poked a hole through the center of the pices and used RI to attatch them to each other after putting a scewer through the body parts.. does that make sense? lol.. like, I made the legs, arms, torso, and head separatly and then put a scewer down through them and secured with RI.. Yes.. lol... It's in my pics if you want to take a look... good luck!!!

indigojods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indigojods Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:33am
post #10 of 13

BREN28 - yep I made the grass skirt with buttercream and a grass tip. It was super easy!

BREN28 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:49pm
post #11 of 13

thanks everybody for your ideas, cake is due in july,so i'll have time to practice these different ideas!!
THANKS!!

sugarplumfairycanada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarplumfairycanada Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 9:36pm
post #12 of 13

Hi,
I just posted a hula girl figurine. I think her arms and legs are a little chunky but they stayed put. I made the whole figurine out of gumpaste. I put a toothpick in her head to support the head then attached it to the body. I shaped the body including the arms and legs from a rectangular piece of gumpaste. I shoved a bamboo skewer up the body for support and pushed the other end into the cake. While it was drying I propped up her right arm with a toothpick to help it dry in the position I wanted. I have a picture of just my hula girl that I could email you if you wish.

The cake is http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1237543.html

Good luck and have fun

punkyf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkyf Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 3:32am
post #13 of 13

I did my Hula girls a lot like sugarplumfairycanada did. I made all of her body parts and put spaghetti in them and then glued them to her body with glue made of meringue powder and water. I put a bamboo skewer through her body and stuck it into some styrofoam while I built and dressed them.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%