Butter Cream Flavour Fondant? Is It Possible To Make?

Decorating By Rochelle1 Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 11:26am by veejaytx

Rochelle1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rochelle1 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:55am
post #1 of 11

I have a client who wants to know if there is an icing that gives the look and finish of fondant but tastes more like butter cream.

I am not very familiar withe anything fondant but traditionl fondant

Any information you have would be quiet helpful
Rochelle

10 replies
lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:10am
post #2 of 11

Michele Fosters fondant is really delicious. The recipe calls for butter and vanilla and I think if you ramped up the vanilla and maybe used some of that clear butter flavoring you might get something close to a bc flavor. HTH

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:28am
post #3 of 11

Another option is rolled buttercream. I've not tried to cover a cake with it. I've only played around a bit with it-usually turning extra buttercream into rolled buttercream by adding corn syrup and powdered sugar. I guess its very soft and people say it can have a greasy appearance, but other people really like it. There's a recipe in the recipes section.

Kavingate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kavingate Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:48am
post #4 of 11

There's a new product called Fondarific (sp?), and they have a buttercream flavor. I just got some free samples in the mail, and it tastes pretty good. I haven't had a chance to "play" with it yet, to see how it works, but another friend of mine says that it is great to work with. Their website is www.fondarific.com- if I spelled the name right, anyway. BTW, I am not a member of the company. I promise!!!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:40am
post #5 of 11

Everything you ever wanted to know about rolled buttercream:
(Includes recipes not found in CC recipes section and so much more.)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-221681-.html

HTH

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:01am
post #6 of 11

Kavingate, the link doesn't work, but I think it just needs to be

www.fondarific.com (without the dash)

How did you get the free samples, if you don't mind sharing the info with us.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:21am
post #7 of 11

The flavor on the fondant may help but I think you will find it is not always the flavor they don't like. It is the texture. Rolled buttercream to me....still has the texture of fondant. Not trying to sound negative but I think you should be aware.

atschnet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atschnet Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 10:11am
post #8 of 11

i just did i cake covered and decorated in the rolled buttercream. It was a little oily at first but once i started to work with it and roll it out it was fine. And it taste great!!!! Now my Wilton Instructor told us last night that she learned in a new class last night that you can flavor fondant but the best way is to flavor it with the candy flavorings......she brought some chocolate fondant and it was TO DIE FOR!!!!!!! No for my rolled buttercream i use regular extracts and it turned out fine. Here's the pic of the cake i did.
LL

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 10:40am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

Kavingate, the link doesn't work, but I think it just needs to be

www.fondarific.com (without the dash)

How did you get the free samples, if you don't mind sharing the info with us.

Follow that link, click on the shopping cart, and there's an option for a 1lb sample with a shipping charge of $1.50.

mlharvell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlharvell Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 10:44am
post #10 of 11

I actually made some fondant over the weekend that tastes just like buttercream. All you have to do is make MMF fondant and flavor it with 1.5 tsp of butter flavoring (I used Wilton) and .5 tsp of vanilla. I also added about 1/4 tsp of salt to cut the sweetness. It's delicious and tastes just like buttercream. HTH

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:26am
post #11 of 11

Pretty cake, atschnet! The last cake I made with fondant, most took the fondant off, but my mother was happy, she ate some of it and saved the other! I like the contrast of textures, and enjoy the fondant.

Thanks, TexasRose. Boy, that stuff is expensive, you get 2 lbs for about what you can pay for 5 lbs of Satin Ice. Not sure about even getting the sample, since I'm pretty sure I'd never order more than that!

mlharvill, I'll try your additions to MMF next time I make that. Thanks to you, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%