Mex Choc Cake Tasted Like $%^&! Any Advice?

Decorating By kdaze Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 3:54pm by waywordz

kdaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdaze Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:24am
post #1 of 17

Ok I've always liked Mex Choc. so I tried it in my chocolate cake. My cake recipe is really good. I added 1 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and 1/4 tsp of chili powder just to give it a litttle something more. Well it needed a lot more. The cake was really moist like always but it actually tasted dry! I know it sounds crazy. Any ideas would be welcomed. I need to have this figured out by Thursday for a cake I have to do. Thank goodness I tried it early! I really need help here. Thanks!! icon_cry.gif

16 replies
pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:53am
post #2 of 17

substitute coffee for any liquid in your recipe or 1/2 the recipe... I like to use Kaluaha because it gives that robust kick while keeping it moist.

Hope that helps

waywordz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waywordz Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:54am
post #3 of 17

I used regular pepper in a cake once and you really couldn't taste the pepper. It just got hotter the more you ate. But, when you said it tasted dry, I remembered mine did too. Maybe that is the pepper. Maybe you could try the chinese fire oil instead for the heat. Then try it again. Still using the cinnamon. Then at least you will be able to do a process of elimination. I've never had mexican chocolate, though. So, I'm not sure what that taste is. hth.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:31am
post #4 of 17

Was it made with butter or oil, did you frige it?

I make a cingo de mayo ole ole cake I actually call my hot fudge cake. I use cayenne and saigon cinnamon I use coffee and sour cream I can post another link to it if you're interested. It does use 3 or 4 kinds of chocolate. But it's super easy to make & bake.

mjarvis78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjarvis78 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:32am
post #5 of 17

I make a mexican cake, but I use the abuelita mexican chocolate. I melt it down with milk in a saucepan and use that instead of the regular milk called for in the recipe.

I also add a couple teaspoons of cinnamon and a little almond extract. I would never use chili pepper though.

pinkbox Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:22am
post #6 of 17

k8memphis I would love to see your recipe. Please share the link

edith123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edith123 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:31am
post #7 of 17

I would love to see the recipe too! icon_biggrin.gif

brilandken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brilandken Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:35am
post #8 of 17

k8memphis That sounds really yummy! I would love to see the recipe icon_smile.gif

pinkbox Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:37am
post #9 of 17

I've never seen saigon cinnamon... Im going to have to go on a hunt... do you have to buy it in a specialty shop online or...???

Thx

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:39am
post #10 of 17

I wouldn't use dry pepper... I would take some of your liquid, and heat it up with some peppers so you get the heat from the pepper, but not the pepper itself. Bring it to a boil, let it cool and then strain it before adding it to your cake.

-K8memphis Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:35am
post #11 of 17

K8's Hot Fudge Cake

http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r1766.html

Umm, I didn't have enough ingredients one day to make any one recipe that I could fine so I just tossed this all together and it worked and I was blown away that it didn't sink in the middle.

So I've tried it since with other variations of chocolate and it was not as good. The cake gods were truly smiling down on me that day. You can use any kind of dark chocolate for the Hershey bar dark choco. But don't forget the cocoa or it will sink, the German's is also very important for the taste and of course the Bakers unsweetened is easy..

And you can get Saigon cinnamon at the grocery store now, like McCormack has it. The cinnamon we are all used to using really isn't for real cinnamon. The Saigon variety is the for really cinnamon like the red hot type of cinnamon. And I'll just be real honest and say that I jack up the cinnamon to about two tablespoons and the cayenne to (no more than) one teaspoon. You need to at least use a half to 3/4 teaspoonof the cayenne.

I use a cream cheese filling to balance out the soft glow you get from the cake--it's not a shocking heat.

The cream cheese filling is cream cheese, sour cream, more lemon juice than vanilla, some confectioner's sugar and I stabilize it with like half a pack of geletin. Like maybe two 8oz cream cheese, a cup of sour cream, 2 Tablespoons lemon, 1 Tablespoon vanilla, half pack bloomed gelatin like 2-3 cups of 10x. Something like that.

And I've always used a vanilla buttercream so the cake shines but lately I've been thinking about trying a spicey chocolate icing that's spiced up like the cake.

The cake is very fudgey and moist. It freezes like crazy. Great shelf life.
This cake has a small cult following in Memphis. icon_biggrin.gif

Let me know if you try it. You will like it!

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:33pm
post #12 of 17

McCormick's makes Saigon Cinnamon - if your grocery store sells the line of premium McCormicks seasonings, they should have it.

If you can buy Pampered Chef products, they sell an Indonesian Cinnamon that is outstanding. A close second would be the Cinnamon from King Arthur.

Does your cake actually feel dry to the touch, or just when you eat it? It may be the spicy undertones that are giving it a "dry" feel in your mouth - cut back on some of the cayenne.

I make my Mex Chocolate cake the same way - my chocolate sour cream cake with added cinnamon and cayenne pepper. When I first tried this, I set up a couple of bowls with small amounts of batter and experimented with different amounts of the spices to see what it tasted like.

kdaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdaze Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:18pm
post #13 of 17

K8 Thanks so much for your recipe. I will pick up the other ingredients I need and try it tomorrow. I can't wait it sounds great!!

-K8memphis Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:30pm
post #14 of 17

PS. Hershey's cocoa works fine.

-K8memphis Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:44pm
post #15 of 17

Here's another angle on this. I mean you can't go wrong with the spicy cinnamon. But I love cinnamon. On the list of things I'm addicted to, chipaholic is first then cinnamonaholic is next.

So I ususally drink this chocolate cherry kiss coffee every morning but dang everying is getting so expensive I ran out and got something else, well it sucks. So I tried a little Lorann cinnamon oil in some of my husband's coffee--was fabulous. Until I rubbed my eye and started a fire from the residue on my fingertip but that's another story.

So then the gear in the brain starts a low grinding noise and a slow slow glanking around and the light up there flickers briefly--what about the lorann cinnamon oil in the cake?? So there's an idea for the idea pool. But still yet the cinnamon itself is spot on.

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:16pm
post #16 of 17

Love the ideas!

waywordz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waywordz Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:54pm
post #17 of 17

Kdaze I found this when I was looking for a pound cake recipe... It is a recipe for mexican chocolate cake. From wikibooks: (www.wikipedia.com)

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Mexican_Chocolate_Cake_with_Mocha_Buttercream

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%