Neat Concept, However I'm Dry For Ideas....

Decorating By jovigirl Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 12:54pm by jovigirl

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 18

This weekend is my SIL & niece b-day (mother/daughter), My SIL will be 41 & my niece will be 14. My brother has asked me to make the cake...
Considering the ages they will be turning (numers reverse) 14-41 I'd like to incorporate that as the theme of the cake, however I'm not too sure how.. Actually I have no clue how. Just nothing is coming to mind....

Maybe anyone out there have an idea?
Greatly appreciated
TIA
Jovigirl

17 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 18

Ok, this isn't very clever but could you do a bunch of mini 1s and 4s out of fondant or gumpaste as accents?

This might be a little weird but could you make the numbers 1 and 4 almost into flower bunches, with fondant number cutouts as the "bloom" part and add leaves at the base? (Ok, I admit, I'm getting this idea from a Blue's Clues special that my son watches....)

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 18

how about something that shows a "reversal mirror image" on the two halves of the cake, since the 41/14 is a reversal?

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 18

maybe do what bonniebakes suggested, and then put it on a mirror as a cake board.

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 9:17pm
post #5 of 18

Wow, I really like those ideas! I just wanted to add that maybe you would like to use 2 specific colors. I thought of "ying/yang", but I'm not saying to use black & white. I also thought if you would use a stacked cake idea, to put a 14 under a 41, or visa-versa. The mirror idea is way better than that though! Good luck!

brownsugar1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brownsugar1 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 18

I was going to suggest the mirror thing also. Maybe the theme could be "Through the looking glass"

brownsugar1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brownsugar1 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 9:24pm
post #7 of 18

If they are math people you can play with "reciprocal".

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 9:42pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCakes

Wow, I really like those ideas! I just wanted to add that maybe you would like to use 2 specific colors. I thought of "ying/yang", but I'm not saying to use black & white.

This sounds really cool to me...just pick two colors on the opposite sides of the color wheel. This could be a really fun cake to do with mirror images!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 10:08pm
post #9 of 18

I know ying and yang you look at the two colors. I know this is being mentioned---one side "red" one side "pink" (just examples) on the pink have 14 & when you turn the cake around to the red have the 41. If you could do a topsy turvy it would be really neat to add to the concept.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 10:30pm
post #10 of 18

Oh how cool. Umm, you could do cut out 1, 4, 1 cakes.
Decorate the first "1" pink and green (flowers vines tendrills and scrolls)
decorate the second "1" yellow and green,
Decorate the left half sides of the "4" in pink and green
decorate the right half sides of the four in yellow and green
and decorate the top of the "4' all pink yellow and green

Cool double b-day.

gottabakenow Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 10:34pm
post #11 of 18

whoa k8 you lost me. icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif

-K8memphis Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 10:56pm
post #12 of 18

Ok umm, oops. Try this.

http://sdbytracy.com/numbercakes.htm

You have three cut out number cakes a #1 a #4 and another #1. So when they are placed on the cake board you put them as 1-4-1 so you get the 14 for one b-day girl and the 41 for the other b-day girl only all together it's 1 4 1. They are sharing the same '4'.

Decorate each of the '#1' cakes in two different colors to represent each person.

Decorate the '#4' in a blend of those colors 'cause they are sharing it kinda sorta. Using it to read 14 one way and 41 the other way but they are just sitting there one right next to the other. icon_smile.gif

This is kind of a classic take on doing a shared b-day cake.

gottabakenow Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 10:59pm
post #13 of 18

now i got it. just needed some more words in between the numbers and colors. icon_smile.gif cute idea.

-K8memphis Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:11pm
post #14 of 18

Here's another one--just write 14141414141414 alll around the sides of any cake. So for those at the party they will know why that's significant. Yeah and for people like my brother who are registered dweebs he'd go what does 14 trillion 141 billion 414 million 141 thousand 414 mean. There's a dweeb in every crowd!

Just a 14-41 thought for the idea bucket.

gottabakenow Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:16pm
post #15 of 18

going off k8's last idea-

on the top of the cake divide it into 4 equal parts and do 2 parts one design and the other two parts another design, kitty corner from each other. for example lets say the colors are red and pink- do one design as a red backround and pink swirls and the other design as a pink backround with red swirls.

Zaxapi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zaxapi Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:18pm
post #16 of 18

Instead of focusing on the numbers how about the mother / daughter relationship is there anything they do together as mother /daugher that you could use as the theme of the cake?

If there is something they do together it would interesting as a cake theme.

Just trying to help.

-K8memphis Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:32pm
post #17 of 18

What about a cascade with #1's and #4's all tumbling down with flowers and stuff.

Ok--I promise I'll shut up after this last thought. I have a big sister, Teddi, who is four years older than me. When I was a little kid I totally remember how depressed I was when I realized that when I grew up I would not be her. So she was prolly like 9, I was 4 and it hit me when I turn 9 I won't be her. Get out of town! Yet just another of life's little injustices. icon_lol.gif

She collects teddie bears obviously--y'know everyone gives them to her. So a while back I saw this most awesome piece of jewelry. It was a pin that had kind of like the side view of a bear who was looking into a full length antiquey mirror. It was just so cool for conveying that thought.

So I have no idea how to incorporate that into this cake of yours--but we're just brainstorming anyhow. Ok I'll shut up now. icon_biggrin.gif

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:54pm
post #18 of 18

Oh my goodness!!! Thank you for all the replies! I didn't think I'd get any maybe just one icon_rolleyes.gif
I'm digging the mirror idea that bonniebakes suggested, however, I'm not too clever unless I see an image. I need to stick to something simple as I have a 2hr drive there, there's probably won't be any air conditioning & probably no space in the fridge. I was thinking of just taking everything prepared & putting it together there so I don't have to carry it in my lap as there is very little space considering I'm 8 1/2 months preggers icon_surprised.gif
For the mirror idea, do I put 2 cakes side by side one cake black (chocolate) with the 41 & the other cake white with the 14 per say, on the sides of the cake decorate with 4's & 1's all the way around & use a mirror for the cake board. I'm I getting this idea correct?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%