Celebrating Three Bdays At Once..need Cake Idea, Pics

Decorating By sweetcravings Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 3:54am by OCakes

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 10

Everytime my family celebrates birthdays we just kinda clump everyone in that particular month together. I always get the unlucky duty of making the cake. icon_cry.gif I hate it because it's very hard to come up with an original idea that is suitable for young, old, girl/boy. I've done sculpted cakes in the shape of food, i've done cakes with each corner showing a hobby of the birthday person but this month i am at an absolute loss of what design i should make. We are celebrating my mom's, my son (10yrs) and my sister (40 something) birthdays. If you have any good ideas on how i can make a cake suitable yet interesting for all please help me out. Pictures are welcome. Part of me wants to take the easy way out and just write happy birthday on a sheet cake and be done with it. icon_redface.gif but i know my son would be disappointed since he is use to all my previous cakes.
Suzanne

9 replies
gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 10

how many people are you expecting? could you do a small 3 tiered cake with one tier for each person? just an idea.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 10

what about a "summer" cake... that would include fun things you think of when you think of summer: flowers, baseball games, picnics/bbq's

OR what about a pool cake? i just made one over the weekend for a cookout. simply round cake, iced in blue, then white accents for the sections & top rail of the pool. then blue tinted piping gel for the water and fondant pool toys (like rings, noodles, floaties, balls, even a person floating in the water)

HBcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HBcakes Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 10

I like the 3-tier idea too! That's what I'd do. You could pick one common color or idea for all 3, but each unique toward each person's tastes. When we did this type of thing in my family I did personal 6in cakes for each birthday person, extra cake on the side if needed. That may not help you much but good luck anyways!!

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 10

I was thinking about your issue. My 1st thought was 3 smaller cakes like someone else suggested. Then i was reading on and thought about the fact that it is 3 generations of family. That could be a direction to go in
or edible images of each person as a baby. The last one is my favorite.

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 9:41pm
post #6 of 10

I was thinking of the "Summer" theme also - but with cupcakes - would they go for that? I previously made "bug cupcakes" (pic s/b attached!), which perhaps yoru son would enjoy: caterpillars, and maybe frogs or some other "boy" type animal or insect (praying mantis?); and then flowers for the older women.....? OR, what if you made a small cake for your son in a theme he would like (after all, this IS your son!), and then a simple sheet cake with some flowers & bday message to the ladies?
LL

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 10

those cuppies are so cute!

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:59am
post #8 of 10

Thanks everyone for your ideas. I like the idea of three tiered cake but there will only be 17people at the party and half of them are kids. We are all kinda watching our weight so i think the three different cakes would be way to much cake.
I did llike the idea of a pool cake..might just use that.
Cupcake cake..was thinking about that too, i may just go that route, with the pool theme. That way it's easy to serve.

Thanks again. Please keep the ideas coming.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:14am
post #9 of 10

I had one like this last week and I hate them too. I so wanted to go with a ladybug theme but didn't think the boy would appreciate that. I just did a 9 inch round in buttercream with a cute design of a cake on top. It was an easy way out but the customer seemed pleased icon_smile.gif

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:54am
post #10 of 10

When I'm watching my weight, I just take 2 servings & watch it grow! ha ha! Sorry, had to add - and I like your final idea!!

(and thank you "cakedecoratingsmything"! I love those too!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%