Tips On Viva Method

Decorating By mom2leelee Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 12:16pm by MessiET

mom2leelee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2leelee Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 18

DH and I attempted our first cake last night. We used a cake mix and the bc recipe in the faux fondant article. Then we smoothed it using the Viva papertowel. It didn't turn out as smooth as I wanted and I know someone out there has some tips they can share.

Here is the cake after smoothing and then the finished product.

[/img]
LL
LL

17 replies
gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 18

it looks like you could use a thicker layer of icing in the first place. maybe try the wilton icing tip, it puts on just the right amount for you to scrape some off in the smoothing process.

great flag!

mom2leelee Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 18

I'll make sure I try that next time. I'm just starting so I don't have a lot of the tips. I have two round, one star and one petal tip that came in the 18 piece Wilton decorating kit I found on clearance at Walmart icon_razz.gif.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 18

looks like your icing could be a bit stiffer and

looks lke you used just your hands? go over it again with a fondant smoother over the viva and will be smoother and more level and sharp.

takes a little practice so do not be discouraged!

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 7:25pm
post #5 of 18

I was also going to suggest a fondant smoother. Also, the smoother your icing is before you viva, the better it'll come out after. Try dipping your spatula or bench scraper into boiling water, whiping it dry and using that to smooth your icing before it crusts. Then after it crusts try the viva with a fondant smoother.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 7:33pm
post #6 of 18

be sure ALL of the icing has crusted before you start using the viva method, otherwise it will stick to your papertowel

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 7:41pm
post #7 of 18

Did you let the icing completely crust before using the Viva? Sometimes I can't get it real smooth until it's completely dry to the touch, if it's even a little sticky it doesn't work well.

Sometimes I also refrigerate the cake a bit before smoothing.

I think for a first cake you guys did great!!!

Keep at it, it does take practice.

mom2leelee Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:08pm
post #8 of 18

Thanks for all the replys!

I did just use my hands. I don't have a fondant smoother but it's def. on the list.

Also, I did have a problem w/ some spots on the sides not being fully crusted and it stuck to the pt. Next time I'll use the hot spatula frist also.

I really do appreciate all the tips!

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:15pm
post #9 of 18

HAHA, the longer you stay on this website, the longer your "LIST" will grow!

I have a "things to try" list, a "things to buy" list....

If you have an AC Moore or Michaels near you, they carry a bunch of the Wilton stuff and they usually offer 40% off coupons weekly. I know on AC Moore, I can print the coupons online. That has been helpful for my "things to buy" list.

Good luck!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:42pm
post #10 of 18

I usually allow 15 minutes to crust. Gives me enough time to finish mixing colors or tidy up. I'm becoming great at multi-tasking now!

mom2leelee Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:50pm
post #11 of 18

I have a Michaels about an hour from me but we are up that way a lot. I get their coupons in my emails so I will have to print one out and hit them up the next time I am up that way.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:06am
post #12 of 18

lol... oh yeah... welcome to your newest addictions, cake decorating AND cake central! i spend more time here than all other websites combined and that includes the 2 my hubby and i are designing for other hobbies!

mom2leelee Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:23am
post #13 of 18

I was told about this site by another member and she warned me it was addictive. I laughed when I saw the little warning in the top left corner but neither one was lying..lol!!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:38am
post #14 of 18

I don't think it looks bad at all for your first time!!!

I use the fondant smoother over the viva.. THEN use the fondant smoother over a never used piece of computer paper icon_smile.gif

mom2leelee Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:58am
post #15 of 18

Thanks! Ya'll are too nice! When I look at the cake all I see are the bumps, but I guess everyone does that to their own work.

The computer paper idea is a good one!

I'm ready to try again but it might be a good idea to wait till this cake is gone..lol!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:05am
post #16 of 18

Get a cake dummy icon_smile.gif

Saves your hips LOL and lots of wasted cakes icon_smile.gif

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:40am
post #17 of 18

Also, get a metal bench scraper that is 6" long to help you smooth your buttercream and help you get a very even layer. Dip it in boiling water, wipe off, and keep it straight up and down as you get the excess icing off.

You can get a Bash n' Chop metal bench scraper at Bed, Bath, and Beyond for $4.99.

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:16pm
post #18 of 18

I would also suggest the Wilton icer tip. I was skeptical about using but once I did, what a difference it made! It really puts the right amount of icing on your cake and it is easier to smooth it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%