Scott Clark Woolley

Decorating By tootie0809 Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 7:51pm by jessienj

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 5

Has anyone used his instructional DVDs? They are rather expensive compared to some other instructional videos, so I wonder why. I really want to learn sugar flowers and have considered taking some out-of-town classes (since none are offered in my area), but this can get really expensive with travel and hotel on top of the price of the class. Just wondering if Scott's DVDs are worth the high price. Does anyone have any experience with them? Thanks!

4 replies
TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 5

I don't have his DVDs but I do have one of his books. It's very detailed, the photos are lovely, and I used the instructions in the book to make alstromeria for a competition piece and got a blue ribbon.

Maybe someone with a DVD of his can tell you if they're as good as the book, but if the book is any indication, it's probably very nice.

Deanna

dmcclend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmcclend Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 5

I have purchased all expect his most recent one on tropical flowers. To be honest I could have saved my money on DVD 1 and 2. If had purchased DVD 1 first I would have never ordered another DVD!

However, I ordered DVD 1 and DVD 3 sugar orchids together. The differences between the two are night and day. DVD 1 is the same quality that you can get for much cheaper if you buy a Nicholas Lodge or a Patchwork cutter DVD. DVDsâ 3 and 4 (sugar gardens) blew me away! These DVDs you can tell that Scott takes cinematography seriously. He aims the camera directly on his hands, so you can see clearly, what he is doing. You will never find yourself yelling at the TV telling the camera operator "move the camera so I can see what he is doing!" I cannot begin to describe to you how clear and crispy everything looks. Personally, I hate when I purchase a DVD and the colors of the flower petals look like they are "blending/bleeding" together and you cannot tell what is happening with the different petals. This is definitely not a problem with Scott's DVDs 3 and 4.

In addition, he explains things clearly and concisely. As soon as you think of a question you would like to ask him, he answers it in the DVD. He is very nice and if you do have a question just email him and he will more than likely call you with an answer. I did not purchase the tropical flowers DVD because those flowers do not interest me, but I am waiting for his next DVD on holiday flowers to be released.

One last thing, the price is high but the quality of the DVD is better than going to a class, because I can watch it over and over and over until I get it. In addition, he has video clips on YouTube and his site.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:37am
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the replies! I have ordered a few Nicholas Lodge DVD's from GSA and expect them next week. I checked out Scott's website today and watched all the clips from each DVD. The definitely look very detailed. I see he also has "kits" to go along with each DVD. The kits are expensive too, but you get a lot of tools with each. There are so many tools needed for gumpaste flowers that I kind of like the idea of having the entire kit needed for those flowers included, but it all sure does add up quickly.

One question on the DVD #2 about the basics of cake decorating, baking, icing, etc. Is this a good DVD for the money? I have Sharon Zambitos 3 DVDs on buttercream, fondant, and stacking. Would Scott's DVD #2 give me any additional information that Sharon's DVD's don't cover?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm new to all of this but am so excited and want to learn as much as I possibly can. icon_smile.gif

jessienj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessienj Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 5

I have all his dvds except the one on tropical flowers. I cannot compare it with Sharon's dvds because I do not own any of hers nor have I seen any of hers. To be honest, although I love SCW dearly and have taken many of his classes, I think that if you buy Sharon's 3 dvds, you will probably get more info and the total cost is significantly less. Perhaps the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that SCW covers that Sharon perhaps does not is how to make a scratch cake and fondant from scratch - and he does take you through the steps so you could even play the dvd and go through the steps with him. I used to do that when making his gumpaste recipe from his dvd 1 until I finally got it.
The kits are excellent and his cutters, tools and veiners are top quality and produce very realistic looking flowers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%