Fondant Issues

Decorating By the cake whole Updated 23 Jun 2008 , 6:56pm by mommyle

the cake whole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
the cake whole Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 5

I did a two layer 6" round "Hotwheels" cake for my friends son who turned 4! I did cupcakes as well. They all loved it. This is th 3rd cake I have made so far and I am still trying to get the hang of covering the cake with fondant. I ALWAYS get gathers at the bottom, how can I fix this problem??? I currently use Choco pan, I am not sure if this makes a difference?!

4 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 5

It's just a technique thing... as you smooth the fondant down the sides, be attentive to spread out any gathers as you go, working down from the top.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 5

You have to kind of lift the sides like a tablecloth as you smooth down the sides with the side of your hands. It will work thje pleats and folds out as u go around. HTH

(Ps check my siggy links)

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 5

Are you rolling out enough fondant? Sometimes it helps to have more extra fondant that drapes over - easier to smooth out the wrinkles at the bottom...

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 6:56pm
post #5 of 5

I like to put my cake on top of a bowl or something that is smaller than the cake and off my counter so that the fondant hangs down off the cake. That makes it WAY easier to smooth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%