What Do You Use?

Decorating By bafishr Updated 23 Jun 2008 , 3:56pm by chovest

bafishr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bafishr Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 11

I am so sick of using my Wilton mat to roll fondant. It's always moving, I tried putting some non-slip stuff under but it doesn't work icon_cry.gif

What do you use? And where do I get it?

10 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 11

I really like the blue Ateco mat - you can get these at globalsugarart (they are having a 10% sale on these items) http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=844

For smaller items I use Silpat - IMO the best mats out there!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:42pm
post #3 of 11

I roll it right on the table/counter. Never used any kind of mat... don't see the need.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:44pm
post #4 of 11

I like the lined Ateco mat, and I also have a couple of different sizes of silpats. If you put a tiny bit of moisture on the back side of the Wilton mat and kinda move it around on the counter just a bit, it will stick a little better to a plastic laminate counter top (or natural stone of any sort). Just don't use too much moisture or move the mat around too much for obvious reasons icon_lol.gif

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:50pm
post #5 of 11

I hate my Wilton mat, too. i read on cc that some use clear vinyl that you buy by the yard, I hope to try that soon.

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:52pm
post #6 of 11

i use my table as well. It's plenty large enough for any project I need it for and has a smooth surface so it doesn't leave any impressions. icon_smile.gif

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:53pm
post #7 of 11

I saw that thread on the vinyl and I went to Walmart this weekend and bought a yard and a half for $4.83. So cheap and works wonders, I love it. Plus I cut a smaller piece for working with gumpaste. Love, Love, Love the vinyl!!!!!

chovest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chovest Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:55pm
post #8 of 11

I use the clear vinyl for larger pieces that cover an entire cake. I use a thin layer of Crisco on it and I am able to pick the entire thing up, flip it over, and line it up with the cake. The shortening allows it to peel off easily, but keeps it in place while upside down. I just use the counter for smaller pieces, or when rolling fondant out for cookies. Hope this helps.

amr70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amr70 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:55pm
post #9 of 11

spread a thin layer of shortening underneath the mat

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:56pm
post #10 of 11

I got so sick of the Wilton mat that I went to WalMart and bought a yard of vinyl...it cleans good, rolls up and covers my entire table, I love it! It is also a quarter price of the Wilton mat for 4x the size!

chovest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chovest Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:56pm
post #11 of 11

Oh, forgot to mention that wiping the counter with a damp rag keeps the vinyl in place so it doesn't slide while rolling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%