$5 Cake

Decorating By CakesByEllen Updated 15 Aug 2005 , 5:08am by dodibug

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 14

We are having a company picnic, and to get some more exposure I volunteered to make a cake (read: I am getting no money for this cake). I had a coworker suggest that I make a cake that looks like a $5 bill. The running joke here is that I work for a multi-billion dollar company, yet all they can afford for a summer thank-you celebration is $5 per person.

I love the idea, but looking at a $5 bill, I don't think I can make it look as good as I want my cakes to look. I know I could have an edible image printed, but I don't want to spend the money. Any suggestions? If I can't do it, then I will do my original idea, which is a "slice-of-watermelon" cake.

Thanks for the help!

13 replies
meme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meme Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 14

I would be terrified of offending the company.. I think the watermelon would be nice for a picnic it goes with the setting!

BigEasyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigEasyCakes Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 8:07pm
post #3 of 14

I would also be afraid of offending the company. How about a FBCT of the company logo?

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 8:10pm
post #4 of 14

I agree with meme-go with the watermelon. I don't think you can be too careful as an employee!! Joke or not, sometimes the powers that be have nooo sense of humor!

dodibug Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 8:11pm
post #5 of 14

I just noticed all us Louisiana gals are on our best behavior at work-haha!!

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 14

We cajun gals have a wonderful sense of humor!

I'd go with the watermelon slice too.. it's appropriate for a summer get together, or in my opinion it is icon_smile.gif

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 8:23pm
post #7 of 14

I work for a home builder. One year for Christmas, his son (who also works here) "presented" him with a little easter chick that actually waddled across the floor and said "cheep cheep cheep". He then told his father (who OWNS the Company) that we could have nicer things in our office if he wasn't so CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP!!! I guess the son thought it would be funny, but let me tell you - the rest of us were PETRIFIED! And you could have heard a pin drop! Needless to say, the party was over at that point! So I agree with everyone else, jokes about work or an employer (well-deserved or even true) could be a DISASTER. I like the watermelon idea too - can't go wrong with that!

meme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meme Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 14

Don't get me wrong I like too joke and prank with friends and family But I couldn't mess up where the money is coming from!! LOL

jjandascog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjandascog Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 9:42pm
post #9 of 14

How about a picnic basket cake?

thecakegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakegirl Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 12:48am
post #10 of 14

There is an awesome picnic table cake in the Celebrate with Fondant book by Wilton. Its so cute and would be perfect for a picnic. You could do little ant cupcakes around it if you needed more...

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 4:45am
post #11 of 14

I would be the one that couldn't resist doing the $5 bill cake! tapedshut.gif Do the watermelon. thumbs_up.gif & keep yourself out of trouble! thumbs_up.gif You can't depend on your co-workers to back you up if the joke isn't funny. It is a wonderful idea!

dodibug Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 4:57am
post #12 of 14

Somehow, tc, I think you'd be the one to get away with it while the rest of us met at the unemployment line-lol! icon_smile.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 5:01am
post #13 of 14

LOL!!!!! I probably would! I say what I say & mean what I mean!! LOL!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

dodibug Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 5:08am
post #14 of 14

Funny!! icon_biggrin.gif I don't sugar coat much but I've learned the hard way when to keep my big mouth shut!!!! haha! Mind you if you ask my husband, he'll tell you I never shut my mouth-lol!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%