Business By -K8memphis Updated 26 Jun 2008 , 12:33am by -K8memphis

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:00pm
post #31 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof4luvscakes

I do tastings, it lets me get a feel for the bride, and if I want to deal with her or not.

Yup! I've had a couple of brides, that after they left, my proposal email "somehow" got lost in the Black Hole of Cyberspace, icon_rolleyes.gif , because it's better for me not to book with her than it is to deal with a bride who has unrealistic expectations and will be a PITA. They are not only interviewing their caterer, but this caterer is also interviewing the bride!

Oh oh oh I get it. See I am sucha yankee though I'ved lived in TN for 25 years. And I mean I'm sure y'all do too but I just tell brides, mmno that won't work. I can do that for $10,000, $20,000.

Now come on, you can get a feel for Ms. Bridelette or Ms. Bridezilla without feeding them. But for sure it prolongs the experience and that's another good reason not to. icon_lol.gif

But I mean you do get the opportunity to see if she stabs the cake and picks it up in one piece on the fork and tears it off with her teeth like a Viking warrior after the hunt..yeah I can see how that can influence your decision to work with her or not.

(I'm just totally teasing, being silly)

kakelady00009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakelady00009 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:34pm
post #32 of 52

My 2 cents...
I do tastings for weddings only. I either meet them at their house or the reception venue (small town). I tell them they can have whoever they want there....They can choose up to 3 flavors of cake, and then I provide the fillings in cups....that way they can interchange all the flavors and fillings. It is a $35 non-refundable fee...as long as they keep the date...if they do, it is deducted from the balance due.
I like doing it this way. I get a feel for everyone- bride, groom MOB (FOB), MOG (FOG), aunts, uncles, grandparents, kids, dogs cats!
This way they get to know me and can feel comfortable with me. I also get alot of "extra" orders before the wedding-not a bad deal. thumbs_up.gif

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:49pm
post #33 of 52

I've only run into one person who outwardly critqued my cake in a negative way. Everyone LOVES my chocolate chip cake. They just love it. So at one tasting someone said it wasn't good at all. So I said, do you enjoy other chocolate chip things? and she waslike, well not really. and I just said hmm. She didn't book with me.

My consultation/tasting policy is always changing. Good policy, eh?

A consultation/tasting costs $25, it consists of any 2 cakes and fillings you want to sample. That $25 will put a temp hold on the date for 30 days so you can think about it without the pressure of losing the date. If you choose to book with me at that point, the $25 will be deducted from the total cost. If you haven't decided at that point, the date is opened back up, but if it's still available and you book later, the $25 will still be applied. Is that clear as mud?

Lately I just have not had time to make the kind of cake people want. It always works that I'll be making 10 different flavor cakes that week, havea consultation and they'll want to taste 2 NEW cakes. ack! What I started doing is on my busy weeks, I only let them taste what I'm making if they want a consult and I tell them they can schedule another time to sample specific flavors but these samples will show them I'm good. Sampling what I'm making is free. But I don't hold the date for that until I get the $25, which is applied the exact same way.

I email a lot with my brides, I sketch and scan pictures for them, I'll chat them up on the phone, at consults. I tell people, I love to talk about cake, and I love to talk, so if you want to meet and have some coffee and chat about your wedding that i know you're so excited about, talk about your cake, life, whatever... I'm there!

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:53pm
post #34 of 52

Just did a tasting. She came in, tasted a cupcake told me what she wanted, wrote as check for $650.00 because her wedding is in August, and off she went! Took all of 20 minutes. I would say I book 90-95% of the people that come in and taste.

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:05pm
post #35 of 52
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber0717

I just don't appreciate the people who are out like making a day of tasting wedding cakes.

I've never run into that. When folks commit to spending an hour to 90 minutes with me to talk about their wedding, it's kinda hard to make it a get-free-dessert-day. If cakers are just giving free cakes out of a drive-thru window ("here's your cake .... let me know what you think ... see ya later....") then I can see how one might get hit with the drive-by tasters.

I don't charge for cake testings. However, I run into the type of situation Amber0717 and indydebi mentioned weekly. Brides make a day or a weekend out of wedding cake testings. They book five to seven testings or as many as they can fit in their schedule with local decorators. They usually schedule the appointments two hours apart. If you're last on the list, it makes promoting your business a little more difficult. By the time they get to you, they are sick of cake, have lost their enthusiasm, and don't want to look at another cake. At that point, the cakes start looking alike to them. icon_lol.gif Many bridal consultants I deal with schedule their clients' cake testings this way. I guess they think it's best to visit the designers in all one shot. From my perspective, the bridal consultant is familiar enough with her preferred vendors that she should pick one or two decorators that she thinks is a good match with her client and send her to one or two testings instead of to everyone on her list.

The one thing that bothers me in regard to cake testings is fake couples. Every month I have secret shoppers from the compeitition. Because of them, I may charge for future testings and deduct the amount from the total if an order is placed. Not only are they taking up valuable time that could be spent with a legitimate bride, it's money out of my pocket to support their curiosity. I'm sure there are those out there that don't mind, but it's become one of my pet peeves. icon_lol.gif

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:01pm
post #36 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrocakes

Quote:

Quote:

I just don't appreciate the people who are out like making a day of tasting wedding cakes.

I've never run into that. When folks commit to spending an hour to 90 minutes with me to talk about their wedding, it's kinda hard to make it a get-free-dessert-day. If cakers are just giving free cakes out of a drive-thru window ("here's your cake .... let me know what you think ... see ya later....") then I can see how one might get hit with the drive-by tasters.

I don't charge for cake testings. However, I run into the type of situation Amber0717 and indydebi mentioned weekly. Brides make a day or a weekend out of wedding cake testings. They book five to seven testings or as many as they can fit in their schedule with local decorators. They usually schedule the appointments two hours apart. If you're last on the list, it makes promoting your business a little more difficult. By the time they get to you, they are sick of cake, have lost their enthusiasm, and don't want to look at another cake. At that point, the cakes start looking alike to them. icon_lol.gif Many bridal consultants I deal with schedule their clients' cake testings this way. I guess they think it's best to visit the designers in all one shot. From my perspective, the bridal consultant is familiar enough with her preferred vendors that she should pick one or two decorators that she thinks is a good match with her client and send her to one or two testings instead of to everyone on her list.

The one thing that bothers me in regard to cake testings is fake couples. Every month I have secret shoppers from the compeitition. Because of them, I may charge for future testings and deduct the amount from the total if an order is placed. Not only are they taking up valuable time that could be spent with a legitimate bride, it's money out of my pocket to support their curiosity. I'm sure there are those out there that don't mind, but it's become one of my pet peeves. icon_lol.gif

How do you spot the spies?

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:49pm
post #37 of 52

What does PITA stand for? icon_confused.gif

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 10:20pm
post #38 of 52

id like to know how to spot them too !

PITA means Pain In the A$*

tcakes65 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:48pm
post #39 of 52

You can't attribute it to one specific thing. From my experience, I could sense it based on their behavior...what they asked and didn't ask in comparison to legitimate brides. Most times they won't provide specific information but want specific, detailed information about my business and cakes. They are more on an information hunt asking tons of questions all the while continuing to refuse to provide specifics on their end...very impersonal and indifferent with no interest in their so called wedding cake. It's difficult to explain. When I strongly suspected someone, I tactfully inquired if they were sent by another decorator. They ended up making reference as to who sent them. I'm sure there have been fake brides that I had no idea were there to snoop. However, I won't ask if I'm not certain because I don't want to offend a legitimate bride. Whether we catch the spies or not, we know that it occurs. I for one won't send someone to another decorator's shop on a fact finding mission.

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:46am
post #40 of 52

Metrocakes, of course we're annoyed by the same things - we're both Cancerians! We get annoyed easily! haha You're birthday is only 1 day before mine! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:11am
post #41 of 52
Quote:

If you're last on the list, it makes promoting your business a little more difficult. By the time they get to you, they are sick of cake, have lost their enthusiasm, and don't want to look at another cake.

One of my favorite stories is about one of my first brides, from Chicago. She was in town for the day and scheduled all of her cake tastings. We almost didn't get to meet, but she squeezed me in as the last appt of the day. I was her 7th cake tasting. She had been sampling all the exotic flavors, like Amaretta Butterbean 'n such. At that time, I only served brides white cake with white icing. Period.

She emailed me the next day that they selected my cake between my front door and their car.

Had a bride 2 days ago who told me I was her 4th tasting of the day ... and my cakes were the best and the most moist ... they were the ones who wrote the check then and there.

So it's not ALWAYS a bad thing! thumbs_up.gif I say they save the best for last!

tcakes65 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:35am
post #42 of 52

Great philosophy indydebi!!! icon_biggrin.gif I guess being last may not be so bad, and you may be in the forefront of their mind!

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:43am
post #43 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakelady00009

My 2 cents...
I do tastings for weddings only. I either meet them at their house or the reception venue (small town). ...

Oh I am way with you. I mean if I gotta clean my house AND do the tea party--that's way too much for one mere mortal decorator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

I've only run into one person who outwardly critqued my cake in a negative way. Everyone LOVES my chocolate chip cake. They just love it. So at one tasting someone said it wasn't good at all. So I said, do you enjoy other chocolate chip things? and she waslike, well not really. and I just said hmm. She didn't book with me.

My consultation/tasting policy is always changing. Good policy, eh?

A consultation/tasting costs $25, it consists of any 2 cakes and fillings you want to sample. That $25 will put a temp hold on the date for 30 days so you can think about it without the pressure of losing the date. ...

Being flexible and not afraid of change is real important. And having a 30 day window there is a nice touch.

Oh man, one time I was working a wedding show for a caterer and the client literally spit the cake out of her mouth, a lot. We used almond flavor and she apparently couldn't stand almond--I mean talk about awkward. "Here's a trash can lady, hurl in here and could you keep it down a little here we're trying to conduct business." icon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:48am
post #44 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof4luvscakes

Just did a tasting. She came in, tasted a cupcake told me what she wanted, wrote as check for $650.00 because her wedding is in August, and off she went! Took all of 20 minutes. I would say I book 90-95% of the people that come in and taste.

Several of the bakeries I worked at did not do tastings and sold bundles of wedding cake. One bakery did do tastings, just tiny bites of cake with icing they sold bundles. The caterer sold a lot of wc & did more elaborate tastings and served the food too, sold a lot of cake. I really don't see the connection between the presence or absence of tastings and getting the orders. I mean unless it's become a custom in your area.

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:52am
post #45 of 52

oops double post

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:04am
post #46 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobean

What does PITA stand for? icon_confused.gif

Right here, Coco, this is business PITA.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't charge for cake testings. However, I run into the type of situation Amber0717 and indydebi mentioned weekly... Brides make a day or a weekend out of wedding cake testings. They book five to seven testings or as many as they can fit in their schedule with local decorators. They usually schedule the appointments two hours apart. If you're last on the list, it makes promoting your business a little more difficult. By the time they get to you, they are sick of cake, have lost their enthusiasm, and don't want to look at another cake. At that point, the cakes start looking alike to them. icon_lol.gif Many bridal consultants I deal with schedule their clients' cake testings this way. I guess they think it's best to visit the designers in all one shot. From my perspective, the bridal consultant is familiar enough with her preferred vendors that she should pick one or two decorators that she thinks is a good match with her client and send her to one or two testings instead of to everyone on her list.

I mean this is where tastings are way out of hand. And of course it's not like this everywhere.

Nobody's giving them any cake sketches are they? They'll just take 'em down the road and get a better quote.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:30am
post #47 of 52

I have to add... I had this 'bride' call last week and I was booked for the weekend. In fact, I don't know anyone NOT booked solid for this weekend,so I told her, keep calling and if you find someone, you really should just book them. Then she started asking me questions. too many questions. I love a good conspiracy theory, so I was freaking out a little bit. Finally I hung up. I was determined she called from the competition... Then a few days later a decorator I recommended to her called and said thanks, she booked with me and paid her deposit! All that paranoia for nothing...

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:50am
post #48 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

MomofLuv--For sure. One of my old boss' used cupcakes. She had over 4 zillion flavors and we would dig like arctic explorers trying to find that random flavor that was hidden amongst the icicles. She was a trip. She kept her cake mix in the walk-in so no one would see it. But microzapping cupcakes really gets them into wonderful serving condition huh. Then add the icing after of course.

HA HA HA "we would dig like arctic explorers trying to find that random flavor that was hidden amongst the icicles."

You need to write a book...you slay me, AND every time i read your company name....i think of wylie coyote seding off to order a cake so he can trap the road runner.....(but i'm twisted)...it still entertains me. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

tcakes65 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:41pm
post #49 of 52

When I got married ten years ago, I did a package wedding in the Smoky Mountains and didn't get choose the cake decorator, flavors or design. I would have to say it was the best cake I have ever tasted. I had a conversation with friends at a party, and none of them did testings 15-20 years ago. They had no idea that's how things are done now. It's interesting how we've evolved into cake testings.

With the current economical crisis, is anyone considering charging for cake testings to compensate for the rising price of ingredients? I plan to continue free testings for now, but I feel like I'll have to start charging at some point due to the economy.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 10:13pm
post #50 of 52
Quote:

With the current economical crisis, is anyone considering charging for cake testings to compensate for the rising price of ingredients? I plan to continue free testings for now, but I feel like I'll have to start charging at some point due to the economy.

No. It's not even on my radar.

A 12" square will use 2 cake mixes, 6 eggs, and less than a cup of oil. It will yield 16 of my 3x3x2 squares that I use for samplings and if I use 4 different flavor cakes at a sampling, I can get 4 samplings out of a 12" cake. If I offer 8 fillings, I figure a tsp is about 10 cents each. My cost for just the ingredients is under two dollars. I can pay one of my girls $7 to bake the 12" cake and throw it (cut into squares) into the freezer, so it's a one-time labor fee. By the time I'm done with this math, it costs me less than five dollars to do a tasting, and the bulk of that is paying my girls to do the baking.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:10am
post #51 of 52

I am sure this has all been said, but you have to do tastings for wedding cakes. (I dont do them for bday cakes) The bride is spending a thousand dollars for a cake, I will gladly give her a tasting. I only do tastings on certain days and I make little 1/2 x 1/2 inch tastings of different cakes, with a dab of buttercream on top and some filing in bowls for them to try different filings.

I dont do it for critque. If a bride says she hates my cake or its too sweet or not sweet, i tell them Thank you and good luck with your wedding! They know my prices up front as well, and I don't nickle and dime people.

I also enjoy tastings because it gives you a chance to sell and talk about cake (my favorite subject) and its just plan on ol fun meeting these brides and talking with them about their wedding. I LOVE bridal shows for that reason as well.

What I *H A T E* is the bride that does not show up. I get them every once in a while and if a bride doesnt show up, the don't get a second chance. (sometimes they will call and say the forgot) I send them reminders when they booked the tasting and 2-3 days before the tasting..there is just no excuse for not showing up. I want to yell at all brides that if you want to continue to get free tastings, SHOW UP. ! (off soapbox! hahaha)

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:33am
post #52 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

I am sure this has all been said, but you have to do tastings for wedding cakes. (I dont do them for bday cakes) The bride is spending a thousand dollars for a cake, I will gladly give her a tasting. I only do tastings on certain days and I make little 1/2 x 1/2 inch tastings of different cakes, with a dab of buttercream on top and some filing in bowls for them to try different filings...

Now this is the kind of tasting I might could get interested in, 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch--just a bite. I like that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%