Trumpet Cake In Case

Decorating By getfrosted Updated 23 Jun 2008 , 8:13pm by JodieF

getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 5

I'm looking for ideas for this attached cake. I don't know who made it, but I would LOVE to recreate it for my dad's 70th birthday in August.

What is the best way to do this cake??? It is so realistic that I am intimidated by it (and it's for my dad).

TIA! icon_biggrin.gif
LL

4 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 5

the case is the easy part...

just a standard multi-tiered cake w/ a well cut out.

Gumpaste lid and by the looks of it gumpaste sides to give a really hard surface that stands up a bit around the edge of the cake.

fondant to look like the fabric.

the CHALLENGE -- the trumpet.

which looks to be all gumpaste.

borrow a real trumpet to use as the pattern.

the bell on this one looks to be formed using a standard large household funnel (gumpaste put over it and allowed dry.)

the tubing would just be a long rope of gumpaste of the appropriate thickness that was then bent around to follow the path of a real trumpet.

valve bodies more gumpaste -- tho' I'd use thick skewers for the stems that stick up out of the valve bodies and then gumpaste buttons for the keys (which should be heavily painted with pearl dust

mouthpiece also gumpaste

would want to start tubing well in advance to ensure it dried fully.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 5

You could make the lid out of foamcore board or gingerbread. You can sand the gingerbread with a lemon zester and get it to fit perfect and cover it with fondant. I guess glue it with royal. I know I made a record player lid like this, can't remember what I glued the pieces together with.

Memphis is humid so I roll it thicker and I over bake my gingerbread. I learned on Franky's Attic, the gingerbread guru webpage that if you use mostly honey your pieces are more secure against warping. Molasses leaves it tending to wrap and react to humidity and honey binds it. So I gotta have some molasses for the aroma But I use mostly honey.

Umm, the horn I'd make out of both fondant and candy clay. Most folks will advise gum paste for the horn. That will work too. I add a lot of cornstarch to my fondant and I dry it in a warming drawer. I'd make it way in advance so it could get good & dry. That long pipe on top I'd wrap something around a pretzel or pasta or licorice to get there. Maybe dip it in chocolate first maybe not. Paint it with gold luster dust.

(I'm having a brain fog--can you paint candy clay?? I think you can.)

I mean make at least two horns, the second one is always better and the first one acts as a back up. Or make several. That's what I do. You could make the horn now. It will last. Once you get that down, it will boost your confidence like crazy to do the case.

That case for the horn is easy. Cut the depression out of the cake. Flop on some fondant and don't smooth it out and you got it. Well I mean make sure the horn fits in the hole there of course. But the sides of the case--you could do more gingerbread or just ice it. Make it out of candy clay if you want real crisp corners.

Maybe that will help get the ball rolling for you. Cool cool cool cake.

Your Dad is gonna flip out!

getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks! I guess my line of thinking is on track then ... it's the trumpet that I'm not confident about and let's face it, if that doesn't work there isn't much point to do this cake! Hopefully I will get some time WELL in advance to try it and if it doesn't work - go to plan B.

Thanks again!

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:13pm
post #5 of 5

I made a trombone case cake for my son. You can see it in my photos. I used a real trombone on the cake though. I'm not sure I wanted to try and make a full sized trombone!
If there's anything I can do to help you, just pm me!

Jodie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%