Anyone Use Gelatin Icing???

Decorating By valstupendo Updated 22 Jun 2008 , 10:08pm by valstupendo

valstupendo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valstupendo Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 3

I bought a book at a used book store - all cake decorating - but it's from U.K. and he uses mostly gelatin icing (he includes the recipe... so it seems fairly simple) to finish all his cakes and mold wonderful things!! Just wondering if anyone has used this before? It seems very simple and versitile, but it doesn't say anything about how long it will last? If I mold some little cake toppers that I need for a week or two in advance, will that be alrght? They shouldn't need to be kept in the fridge, but I'm wondering if they will go very dry/crack or something odd if left out too long before I actually need to use them.
The book is called "The Icing on the Cake" by Greg Robinson & Max Schofield
The recipe is....
1 box icing sugar (500g)
1/2oz gelatin powder
4 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons liquid glucose
cornflour to desired consistency

Anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks.

2 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 3

It looks like a basic recipe for rolled fondant to me.

I'd think that you could do anything with it that you can do with rolled fondant and/or gum paste.

It may be a bit soft for modeling, so you might want to add a touch of CMC, gum trag, Tylose, gum tex (not too much, or it will be too cry and form surface cracks).

Rae

valstupendo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valstupendo Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 10:08pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you BlakesCakes for the response. The cake isn't due until this Sat. so I will practice a bit with it tomorrow and see what's what! icon_smile.gif

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%