White Almond Sour Cream Wedding Cake Recipe

Decorating By Navila87 Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 1:55pm by Homemade-Goodies

Navila87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Navila87 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 12

Help I just tried making the chocolate version of the cake and it was crumbly on the edge and under cooked in the middle. I used a flower nail but the center sunk in on both cakes. I cooked it at 325 for about 40 min. Not sure what went wrong. [/b]

11 replies
CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 12

I've made the reg. version many of times w/o trouble. Maybe it has something to do with your cocoa ratio. I always check my cakes with a tooth pick in the center 5 min before the spec. time. I have found that the box cakes with additions seem to take longer than scratch cakes, if that helps at all.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 12

I have tried the recipe two times so far. I didn't have that problem yet. Mine stays pretty moist and doesn't sink. What size pan did you use? I also use milk instead of water but I'm not sure that makes any difference. I have tried to relocate the recipe and can't find the chocolate version of the WASC so I'm not sure if you are using the same exact one as me. I usually bake mine at 325 deg. for approx. 45 min. depending on size. My cocoa ration is 2/3 flour to 1/2 cocoa....

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 12

I have made this several times and had no problems. I also add about a 1/2 cup of cocoa to a double recipe (the one with 2 cake mixes).

I bake all my cakes at 300 degrees (check your oven to make sure it's calibrated). If my oven is set on 350, then it's really about 310. I have a thermometer in there to make sure how hot it is.

I don't use a flower nail or the bake strips. I've can't tell a difference when I used them. I check them periodically to make sure I don't overcook them.

I hope this helps.

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 7:30pm
post #5 of 12

Here are the different versions.

http://www.recipezaar.com/69630

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 8:11pm
post #6 of 12

Hi and Welcome to CC, navila87. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Cake troubleshooting charts:

http://tinyurl.com/2p5bdu

http://tinyurl.com/32goqe

Wilton cake preparation and servings guides:
(Gives batter requirements by pan size, as well as recommended baking temps. and times - and more.)

http://www.wilton.com/cake/cakeprep/baking/times/index.cfm

HTH

Navila87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Navila87 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 12:41pm
post #7 of 12

Thank you all for your response. I was in the car driving home going over the recipe in my head trying to figure out were I went wrong and I suddenly realized (Iâm embarrassed to admit) that I forgot to add the 6 eggs. I donât know that I was thinking. I used the recipe noted by âcwcopeland.â Iâm giving it another try tonight. Thanks for all your help, your websites are great resources.

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 1:11pm
post #8 of 12

don't worry about it!

i forgot to put eggs in my very first cake too...a a matter of fact, the edges of the cake turned out very crispy and the middle was soupy!

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 1:20pm
post #9 of 12

oh thats happened to me w/ cookies! I bake for soldier in a dining facility on the military base here and was making oatmeal cookies one night. they actually turned into oatmeal balls because i forgot to put the baking soda in the mix and they wouldn't spread! LOL

can't wait to hear if the next one comes out better!

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:46pm
post #10 of 12

Oh that with the eggs happens all the time. At least you didn't throw in the whole egg, shell and all, x's 6, then do a taste test and wonder what happened........It took me forever to figure out why it was so crunchy. Thank God it wasn't for an order and just for family.

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:44pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakin

Oh that with the eggs happens all the time. At least you didn't throw in the whole egg, shell and all, x's 6, then do a taste test and wonder what happened........It took me forever to figure out why it was so crunchy. Thank God it wasn't for an order and just for family.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:55pm
post #12 of 12

Jan - you are just awesome!!! I was just gonna look up the servings chart, and happened in this thread first! haha

Thanks as always!!!

...and welcome navila87!!! Tell your family goodbye for a while, you'll be addicted to this site in no time!!! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%