Mexican/hispanic "wine" Cake?

Baking By hallfamily727 Updated 22 Jun 2008 , 4:34pm by tonedna

hallfamily727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallfamily727 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 5

I've been searching high and low for a recipe that my husband has requested. Years ago he had a cake from a hispanic bakery that was called "wine cake". It was white cake with a thin layer of a thick strawberry-flavored filling that he describes as almost the same texture as the liquid stuff of pie filling. Any ideas?

My mother tried to recreate it by spreading a thin layer of strawberry jam between white cake and my husband said it wasn't right. (Though he thankfully didn't tell her that!) I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Carrie

4 replies
onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 5

i'm of hispanic background, but never heard of wine cake. i have heard of rum, whisky, bourbon cakes though lol

i did find this recipe. of course you can make the cake just white and focus on the filling which has wine. sounds yummy!!!

Ingredients

1 pkg (3oz) Strawberry gelatin
1 pkg white cake mix (18.5 oz)
8 oz of egg substitute (equal to 4 eggs)
1/3 cup of applesauce
1 cup Mount Bethel Strawberry Wine
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 325F. Combine gelatin and cake mix, add egg substitute, applesauce and Mount Betherl Strawberry Wine.
Beat with mixer on low speed until moistened, then beat on medium speed 3 minutes, scraping bowl frequently.

Spray "Pam" cooking spray and line bottoms of a bundt cake pan with wax paper or lightly flour.
Sprinkle pecan pieces in bottom of pan. Pour in batter and bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes.

Make glaze while cake is baking. When cake is done, take from oven and pour two-thirds of glaze over the
warm cake while still in the pan. Let cool 30 minutes. Turn cake out of the pan and let it cool. Finally, add
powdered sugar to remaining glaze until thickened and pour over cake.

GLAZE

1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup light margarine
1/2 cup Mount Bethel Strawberry Wine

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 5

Yummy...that looks good onceuponacake...
Edna

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 5

Gracias Edna!! Your cakes are awesome!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 4:34pm
post #5 of 5

oh you are so sweet.. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%