Making Rose On A Dowel Rod!!

Decorating By Valli_War Updated 22 Jun 2008 , 5:36pm by fiddlesticks

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:31pm
post #1 of 15

Hi,
I watched the video on youtube to make rose on a dowel rod. That lady is so fast, but since I know the basics of rose making (wilton course), I thought I will give it a try. The first cone wrapping step itself failed. Icing doesn't stick to the dowel rod and when I start piping the petals, it falls off. Can someone help me with detailed instructions how to do this.

Thanks,

14 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:39pm
post #2 of 15

I just tried the rose-on-a-stick a few weeks ago and I LUV it!! 25 years of using a flower nail and that sucker is now useless in my kitchen. It's dowels all the way!

When you make the first wrap around the pointed end of the dowel, it needs to be pretty snug. I kinda even 'overlapped' the icing just a smidget over the top of the dowel. I had a few roses slide down the stick but with a little practice, it starts to work! thumbs_up.gif

This is the cake I made my first dowel roses on: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1225307

Here's the close up of the roses: http://www.flickr.com/photos/55969028@N00/2523486640/

yaadie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yaadie Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 15

I watche dthat video on youtube also and I want to try it...My roses always fall over on the nail...I HATE making roses!! (except out of fondant)

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 15

icon_cry.gif wahhh icon_cry.gif

I can't find it. Tried several searches and all the thumbnails show flower nails.

Can someone post the link for lazy ol' me...?

Thanks

emccle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emccle Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 1:11pm
post #5 of 15

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 1:20pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by emccle

Thank you....and wow.

Now I want to try that.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 1:25pm
post #7 of 15

Debi I just looked at the closeup of your roses... they're gorgeous. someday I'm gonna try that.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 1:50pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I just tried the rose-on-a-stick a few weeks ago and I LUV it!! 25 years of using a flower nail and that sucker is now useless in my kitchen. It's dowels all the way!

Debi, what size dowel rod are you using? I've tried this exactly once and went straight back to the flower nail. What are you using to remove the rose from the dowel? This old dog would like to learn a new trick!

MaryAnnPriest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAnnPriest Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 1:54pm
post #9 of 15

Is there a certain size dowel that should be used when making the roses on a stick? Or do different size diameters produce different size roses?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 2:14pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Debi, what size dowel rod are you using? I've tried this exactly once and went straight back to the flower nail. What are you using to remove the rose from the dowel? This old dog would like to learn a new trick!

The dowels are about the thickness of a pencil or slightly smaller. The cake supply shop I go to sells them in a bag of a dozen, about 6" long, already sharpened.

I use a regular pair of scissors to remove the rose. This is the part that amazed me. I've seen roses lifted with scissors and my thought was "how in the world does the rose not smoosh up when it's lifted off?" Well, I don't know how it works .... but it does!!!

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 4:41pm
post #11 of 15

In my most humble of opinions... KFC corn sticks work great for making them on a dowel.

icon_lol.gif

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 4:59pm
post #12 of 15

You can also use skewers for smaller roses. I have done mine that way for several years and I love it.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 5:02pm
post #13 of 15

The dowels used are the ones like you use for cakes. They are sharpened to a point. If drops down sometimes when the icing is too soft too.. You gotta move faster than in the nail. and gotta be careful if you do them to big they get heavy and drop too..Like Indydebi said..tight centers..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 5:28pm
post #14 of 15

I just got the dvd for Buttercream Flowers from CakeGenie.com, and she uses a bamboo satay stick...with the point, and rather thin. I am going to try it soon...I'll report back...

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 5:36pm
post #15 of 15

CakeGenie.com I have that dvd !! Love it !!! The stuff she does with buttercream !!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%