Floral Cards...have You Seen/heard Of Them?

Decorating By veejaytx Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 8:04am by veejaytx

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 11:11am
post #1 of 14

My teacher/instructor was recently asking me if I'd seen anything here about making these floral cards out of fondant/gumpaste. I told them I hadn't seen anything, but would ask ya'll.

I think originally they were a regular greeting type of card with a cut-out in the front where fresh flowers were inserted. Some theory that this was a less expensive way to send a floral gift to someone, but I'm not too sure.

Now it seems they are gaining popularity with the card and flowers made out of some sugar and would be edible.

Anybody got any information or ideas? Any help would be appreciated.

Here's a link to one (fresh flower) one that I found.

www.estellesflorist.co.uk/pix/est_511lar.jpg

13 replies
gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 11:35am
post #2 of 14

i haven't seen them before but it looks like it would be really cool in gumpaste!

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 14

I have a book that has those in it. I forgot which one. I'll have to go look....

Deanna

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 14

Okay, here are the books that I have that have instructions in them for the pastillage cards:
Cake Top Decorations by Nadene Hurst,
Cake Top Ornaments by Mark Richards, and
International School of Su gar craft Book 2 by Nicholaus Lodge et al.

The cards are made out of pastillage for strength, with the back and front cut out separately and allowed to dry. The ornamentation on the card front and back are added (depending on how you want your finished card to look). Then the two halves of the cover are joined with a fine line of royal icing.

HTH,
Deanna

veejaytx Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 2:50pm
post #5 of 14

Thanks, Deanna, that is great information.

I guess nobody is actually going to try to eat these, they are just a pretty thing to look at!

Thanks again!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 14

Very unique (and pretty darn clever). icon_smile.gif

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 2:28am
post #7 of 14

WOW!!! That's fantastic icon_surprised.gif

Thanks for the link Janice icon_biggrin.gif

veejaytx Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 1:22pm
post #8 of 14

At first I thought this was a strange idea, what would be the advantage of making this card and flowers out of sugar...it finally dawned on me that you could keep this forever (well, almost) where the fresh flowers would be gone in a few days!

I'm really surprised not many people have seen or heard about them. I just wish I was as good at making sugarpaste flowers as so many of you are, this would be fun to do!

veejaytx Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:20am
post #9 of 14

This idea is bugging me on how to do it. Wouldn't it work to make it like the one in the first photo (link) above.

You know, make a very long strip like it would be a card, with two folds in it, to make the space between the front and back. Then cut out the oval or whatever opening for the front, maybe even glue that oval to the back part of the card as a place to attach some of the flowers that will be coming through to the front.

If it were essentially 3 sided it would stand better, and hopefully there would be room to apply the flowers without having to fasten the two pieces together.

I may have to make/buy some flowers so I can at least try out my ideas. Any other ideas? Please let me hear any suggestions.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:30am
post #10 of 14

I actually came across gumpaste greeting cards online somewhere. Of course now that I'm looking for them I probably won't be able to find them.

So far I've found this: http://www.streichs.com/cgi-bin/streichs/20-437004.html Don't know if it's helpful or not, but.........

murf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
murf Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:34am
post #11 of 14

My mother has for many years been doing cards like this but with embroidery in them. How she does it is......makes the embroidery (e.g. with names/birthdays etc on it) then has a card that is 3 pieces. the first 2 are the front and back like a normal card with an oval/square/circle cut out at the front(these are joined together - one piece of card folded in two) and then there is a third piece of card that attaches the embroidery to the front bit so that the embroidery shows through the hole but is held into the card by a 2nd piece. This second piece also hides the back of the embroidery with all the knots etc!
Don't know if that helps at all??
Jenny

veejaytx Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:44am
post #12 of 14

Thank you so much, Grace and Jenny, I really appreciate your input.

Thanks for the link, Grace, if I ever figure out what the heck I need to do, the cutter set would be great.

Jenny, I also love the idea with the embroidery as much as the flowers in the card. What a sweet idea for a little gift and remembrance!

If I get this figured out any time soon I'll be sure to let you all know. This is making me nuts, I'm obviously obsessing over this idea. LOL

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:53am
post #13 of 14

No problem. Good luck and let us know if you figure out what you're doing. thumbs_up.gif

veejaytx Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:04am
post #14 of 14

Hey, Grace! Maybe if you think of it, ask all those nice baker/decorators at cake camp if they've heard of such a thing!

Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%