Which Purple To Go With?

Decorating By oceanspitfire Updated 23 Jun 2008 , 4:25pm by aswartzw

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 1:35am
post #1 of 9

So my twin and fiance did finally settle on purple for their wedding. They've given thumbs up on cream and purple coloured cupcakes for the guests, with their small chocolate cake on top for cutting (cupcake tree).
Now here's the dilemna, because you see by the picture below that the purples are all different, which she realizes lol. Have you ever had this? And if so which colour do I go with? The one on the left is the napkins for the place settings, the middle is of course his tie, and on the right is the shawl she's wearing over her cream coloured dress.
So now my question is, to the trained decorator, which one of those purples do I choose? I mean I could try and match the napkin or the shawl but it will clash with the one it's not, or I could do one of the purples in the tie?
Is there a standard or norm how you people have handled something like this in the past, what might work the best in terms of appearances?
TIA
LL

8 replies
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 2:04am
post #2 of 9

Match for cake cutting photo-I say the tie. Napkins will not be there, maybe she won't wear the shawl at the cake cutting, but groom should wear tie.

I say go for the tie... icon_smile.gif

mjarvis78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjarvis78 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 2:06am
post #3 of 9

I would do different shades of purple.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 9

to me, the napkin and the shawl seem pretty close in color and they coordinate with the tie. therefore, i would try to match 2 to 4 of the stripes on the tie.

armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 11:42pm
post #5 of 9

I would be tempted to match the napkins. It is what people are going to see the most of at the reception....I'm thinking cream table cloths with purple napkins....cake would match the venue (cream of table cloths and purple of napkins). The bride and groom are only going to be next to the cake for a few moments (and the shawl and napkin are very close anyways)....if all else fails, ask the bride which she would prefer since it is her cake icon_smile.gif That is just my guess though.
HTH & good luck!
Teresa

jlo6024 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlo6024 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 12:00am
post #6 of 9

I say go with a lighter color in the tie...or two colors..if you try to match the napkin and CAN'T, it's going to look like you couldn't...know what I mean? Whereas if you do a lighter shade it will blend better.

onetaahine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onetaahine Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:50pm
post #7 of 9

I like the contrast of the two darker colors on the tie against the napkin. I would go with the color of the napkin AND one of the two darker colors.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:54pm
post #8 of 9

you know, i rethought this some and i think the best thing would be to try to go for the lightest and the darkest stripes in the tie for the cupcakes and then one of the medium tones in the tie for the small top tier cake. but that's just me

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:25pm
post #9 of 9

I really think you should do a variety of the tie colors with the cream. There's no reason why you should limit yourself to 2 colors. I think using 3-4 colors will allow an extra depth and be gorgeous. It will also eliminate any clashing since nobody will be focused on one particular purple.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%