Question About Banana Flavored Cake Filling

Decorating By bcoh1478 Updated 22 Jun 2008 , 4:17pm by bcoh1478

bcoh1478 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcoh1478 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 7

I'm getting married in October and my grandma (who decorates cakes as a hobby) is doing our wedding cake. My fiancee and I were thinking about having a french vanilla cake with banana cream or custard style filling. We didn't want actual bananas because we don't think they would stay fresh and tasty inside the cake. My grandma said that it would probably take her a couple of days to do. It would be baked and cooled on Thursday. Split into layers, frosted, filled and covered with fondant the next day and the final decorations finished on Saturday. (That's an approximation, of course). So, my question is does anybody know of a good filling (recipe or premade available for purchase) that could be used in the cake that wouldn't spoil or start to taste a little weird or discolor after a couple of days in the cake which wouldn't be refrigerated (not enough room)? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

6 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 7

I would just buy her some banana extract and have her mix it into the BC. Anything else would probably turn black without refrigeration, and over that time period.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

vicmic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicmic Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 8:46pm
post #3 of 7

If you have a cake/party supply near you see if they carry the banana flavored filling that comes in the tubes. I can purchase several different kinds at decorating supply store near me. It sort of looks like a pudding.

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 7

I make banana mousse that is awesome, and as long as it is in the fridge will last a few days no problem...if interested email me and I will give you the recipe. [email protected]

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 11:28pm
post #5 of 7
KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 5:02am
post #6 of 7

Whip some Pastry Pride ( non dairy filling). Take a box of dry banana pudding mix and add enough water to make a paste out of it. Then fold that mixture into the Pastry Pride. It's delicious!

KimAZ

bcoh1478 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcoh1478 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 4:17pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks to everyone for all the replies. I'll pass the info on to my grandma.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%