Do I Have To Buy A Gift For Graduation Open House?

Lounge By adonisthegreek1 Updated 27 Jun 2008 , 4:24am by dldbrou

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 7

My daughter is a junior, but she has a ton of friends who are seniors. I started out buying cards and giving her $20 to put in each card as a gift. Well, everyday she has a new invitation. Am I obligated to buy a gift for each graduation Open House? This is getting way to expensive. What should I do?

6 replies
charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 7

I was going to say usually people do until I read about how many!! lol
I don't think you "Have" to buy for everyone. You can either ask her to pick a few that she is really close to and go from there or my daughter received some gift cards for Mcdonalds, Sonic etc and a few of them were for $5 or $10. She thought that was great. Hope this helps some.

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 7

I would say that you only "have" to give a gift to those kids that you, as a family, are close to. When I graduated, my friends all came, but I only received a gift from my best friends' parents, you know, the ones that you're at their house all the time, eating their food, your home away from home kind of friends. Just my $.02 .

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 7

I came from a class of 50, and the class before me had around 60. In a small town my parents knew about 80% of the kids in these two classes. What they did was a card for any that they just knew with $5 in it. For anyone that I was close with (yes the ones over at our house eating the food!) got anywhere form $20-$50 and a gift. It just depended on how much they were a part of our lives.

But don't feel obligated to give to everyone. I received a lot of cards from friends parents that didn't have anything in them but a couple of words of encouragement and a memory they had of me and their family. For me that was enough, it was enough to know they thought of me.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 1:18pm
post #5 of 7

It's been about 8 years since my high school graduation, and open house. icon_smile.gif

Anyway, I never expected or anticipated gifts from anyone, but those who did were often adults that were friends of the family. I don't think it's expected for school-aged kids to provide a gift.

That's just my HO.

SaraO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraO Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 10:06pm
post #6 of 7

I think it's polite to give a gift if she goes to the open houses. But it doesn't have to cost twenty dollars. She could just make a good CD with music from the past few years, or you could make her some nice sweets to take, or she could buy a good used book (e.g., a recipe book), or she could create a photo album - stuff like that. It's nice to show up with something as a gesture to celebrate with the graduate, but the cost isn't important.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 4:24am
post #7 of 7

In my house I have a certain amount (total amount) that I can afford to give. I then divide it between the invitations that I receive. I only consider close friends and close family relatives. Some years I might get only a few cards and they get a bigger amount than other years when I have more invitations. Also, are the ones that you will be giving the gift to appreciative enough to send a thank you note in return. That is one requirement that I made sure my son followed through on. If he received a gift, he could not use the gift until the person that sent it was thanked with a handwritten note. My husband comes from a large family and he was a teacher for 30 years, so we got plenty of graduation invitations every year. You just need to address the ones that are the most meaningful to you. Some kids just send out invitations just to see how much they can get and do not even think about thanking you for your gift. Just remember it is not mandatory that you give for every invitation, just give to those you wish want to help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%