Sticky Icing... How To Smooth?

Decorating By faithxmarie Updated 21 Jun 2008 , 3:35pm by Cakepro

faithxmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
faithxmarie Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 4

I recently discovered a new icing recipe that I love. The problem is it's sort of sticky, so I can't smooth it with Viva papertowel. I prefer the papertowel method because smoothing with a spatula just doesn't work for me. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could add to the icing to make it less/not sticky?? I tried adding additional powdered sugar, but it didn't work...

3 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 4

Please post the recipe so we can help you figure out how to make it less sticky.

faithxmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
faithxmarie Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 4

Here's the recipe:

3/4 Cups Granulated Sugar
1/2 Cup Hot Water
1/4 Meringue Powder
1 lb. Confectioner's Sugar
1 Cup Butter
1 Cup Crisco
2 Tsp. Vanilla Extract

Place 1/2 cup water and 3/4 cup granulated sugar in small saucepan. Heat just until sugar dissolves. Do not boil. Let cool to room temperature.

When cool, put in mixing bowl and add meringue powder. Beat with beaters until still peaks form.

Add 1 cup butter and 2 cups confectioner's sugar and continue whipping until fluffly.

Add 1 cup crisco and 2 tsp. vanilla extract and continue whipping.

Add remainder of confectioner's sugar and finish whipping.

**If you want the frosting to be absolutely white, use 2 cups of Crisco and no butter and clear vanilla product.

I make this recipe absolutely white.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 4

Oh, that's a non-crusting buttercream! And a yummy one too. icon_smile.gif You can't make this buttercream smoothable with a paper towel, as it will not crust.

To smooth this, you should use the hot spatula method. Let me see if I can find you a link to the instructions on this method so I don't have to re-type something that's already out there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%