Please Help!! How Do You Make Fondant Red?

Decorating By Children Updated 22 Jun 2008 , 12:16am by tiggy2

Children Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Children Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 3:33am
post #1 of 13

I need to make some red fondant for a baseball cap but I have no idea how to make it. I have white fondant but need to color it. I usually color my MMF when it is just melted mm, but I have to form it tonight to give it time to dry. PLEASE HELP!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

12 replies
73cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
73cupcake Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 3:44am
post #2 of 13

Can you just use red gel food coloring? Take a piece of fondant the size you think you'll need for your cap and add some coloring to it and knead it in. At first you'll think it's going to take you forever but you can actually get it mixed through fairly quickly.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 3:44am
post #3 of 13

Color it with a lot of red coloring, more than you think it will take. It's easiest when the fondant is soft, so microwave it first if it's stiff.

Children Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 3:56am
post #4 of 13

Thank you sooo much! I am fixing to try it right now!

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 4:16am
post #5 of 13

Use A LOT of coloring and use wilton's NO TASTE red or else it's going to taste nasttyyy

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 4:18am
post #6 of 13

also I find that if you just tint a small ball, maybe half of an egg or smaller and color it first then add the colored ball to the rest of the fondant that you need w/ more coloring it colors a lot faster

Children Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 4:19am
post #7 of 13

It worked, it worked, it worked, it worked! Yeah!!! You guys are just too awesome! Thank you sooo much for your help!!

You guys probably think I'm crazy but it feels like I just won the lottery or something!! Look out fondant here I come (LOL)!!

THANKS AGAIN GUYS - I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP! icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 4:20am
post #8 of 13

Although I now CHEAT and only use Satin Ice Red because it is easiest, when I was coloring my own, I would use the Americolor Super Red!! You don't need as much of it and it is a much truer Red than the Wilton one! You can also mix it with Orange and Yellow as well. Just depends on the Red you are trying to create!!! Good luck...

inspireddecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspireddecorator Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 4:23am
post #9 of 13

I know you already got your answer, but just wanted to add how I color red. I usually tint my fondant first with orange. Then I add red and I find that I don't have to add the whole container. Works everytime. Same goes for black, I tint using blue or purple then use black.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 4:38am
post #10 of 13

I, too, just buy red Satin Ice. But when I have to color fondant red, I use powdered color.

Children Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 4:43am
post #11 of 13

Thanks again for the advice! I actually did use Americolor because I figured it wouldn't be as bitter as Wilton.

See for red icing I mix yellow then orange then red and it comes out perfectly...for some very strange reason I didn't know how it would work with fondant. Actually I figured it would be harder to do, but I stick it in the microwave and there was nothing to it. You guys are a lifesaver thumbs_up.gif

For black I start out with chocolate mm then add Americolor super black.

I LOVE THIS SITE!! icon_biggrin.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 1:40pm
post #12 of 13

I wish you all would try the Chefmaster red and black gel.. you never need to use the whole bottle icon_sad.gif very little goes a long way

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:16am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

I wish you all would try the Chefmaster red and black gel.. you never need to use the whole bottle icon_sad.gif very little goes a long way

Ditto!!! I wont use anything else. You can get red BC without leaving it sit overnight and use very little coloring.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%