Wedding Cake Due Tomorrow- Last Minute Tips?

Decorating By Angelgirl Updated 21 Jun 2008 , 3:31am by doitallmom

Angelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelgirl Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 2:59am
post #1 of 6

My first wedding cake ever is due tomorrow. I am feeling pretty good about it, but just wondered if anyone had any tips for last minute things for me- what should I pack to take to the site with me (I'm assembling on-site), what do I need to tell the caterers (they'll be cutting and serving the cake) etc. The cake is for a friend of mine, and he's seen a practice cake and liked it, so I'm not really worried- just a little!

Thanks!
icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
misha35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misha35 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 3:13am
post #2 of 6

I always take a repair kit. extra icing, spatula, icing bag, whatever might be needed for unexpected repairs.
watch placement of cake table. The table for my first wedding cake (gift for a friend) was placed under a heat vent. The cake did not melt but I was worried. now I would ask that it be moved.... but wasn't that experienced then
good luck!!!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 3:24am
post #3 of 6

You will need to give the cake cutter a cutting chart to show them how to cut the cake for the amount of servings you planned it to be. I take a repair kit like misha35 said with all the extras. Don't forget your camera and extra batteries.

Best of luck to you. Can't wait to see the picture!

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 3:28am
post #4 of 6

Pack yourself a bag or storage container with: icing, icing bags, tips, spatula, paper towels, wet wipes, disposable gloves (if you use them), and a bottle or two of bottled water. Other people may have more suggestions, but off the top of my head that's the basics I can think of.

As far as what to tell the caterer...what serving chart did you base the size of the cake on? If it is a professional caterer and you have not instructed them otherwise, they will probably cut 1"x2"x4" slices. If you based the cake size on Earlene's chart instead of Wilton's, then let them know that they should cut bigger pieces.

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 3:28am
post #5 of 6

I usually take whatever icing medium I used for the cake- BC, fondant, royal in each color that stands a chance of being smudged,etc. ;spatulas and palette knife for moving/lifting cakes; small rolling pin, icing glue and whatever else I can stuff nto my toolbox!! (tips,colors,extra dec. bags and loads of other stuff stay there on a permanant(sp?) basis, so I couldn't even begin to list them! HTH
I would just double-check w/the caterers to make sure that someone on staff knows the standard wedding cakes serving size and how to cut them-they usually have at least one person on site that has this knowledge.

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 3:31am
post #6 of 6

I apologize if I did a lot of repeat items,suggestions. I opened this thread and proceeded to look at something else. I was surprised when I came back to it and no one had responded, but that was because I didn't refresh first!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%