Kitchen Remodel Suggestions

Decorating By sunlover00 Updated 21 Jun 2008 , 1:39pm by sunlover00

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 2:43am
post #1 of 12

I'm going to be expanding onto my kitchen! If you have done this or would like to, what are some things I should do? For instance, I have a standard oven, but I'm going to add an in-the-wall oven also. I'm going to possibly add up to 50 feet of extra counter space including a 6 foot island.

What else should I do?? I currently have a 2 sided sink...should I get a 3 compartment sink or is that silly?

Oh...and I'm putting in 5 feet of shelving floor to ceiling for storage and cakes that need picked up.

What do you have that you love? What do you wish that you had??

Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

11 replies
ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 3:03am
post #2 of 12

Is this for a commercial kitchen or your home kitchen?

If it's for your home the one thing I really love is my convection microwave. I have a wall oven and it's above my wall oven. It comes in handy for when I have large gatherings. On covection mode it bakes like a oven. I don't recommend baking cakes in it though. I have roasted a chicken in it as well as roasted potatoes, tator tots, baked potatoes, ect.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 3:23am
post #3 of 12

If I could re-do my home kitchen, I'd make room for one of these Sheet Pan Racks: http://www.equippers.com/shop/product-detail.aspx?pcid=66&scid=6660&pid=20697&q=&returnUrl=%2fshop%2fsearch.aspx%3fq%3drack

Great vertical storage! Cakes and cookies can be stacked up for cooling, or waiting for the next step. Wheels make them mobile so you can move them as needed.

THe greatest!!

sunlover00 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 12:16pm
post #4 of 12

Thanks for the tips! I love the idea of that rack... but it looks so big! this remodel is also my home kitchen...I'm not licensed (sometimes wish I were so that I could get wholesale boxes etc).

Now a rack about 1/2 that size would be terrific to deliver wedding cakes instead of making 10 trips to the car! thumbs_up.gif

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 12:36pm
post #5 of 12

Are you looking for appliances as well? I have to buy a new frig and if I could justify me using it, I'd buy one of those new french door frig's so that a whole sheet cake can fit!

sunlover00 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 12:59pm
post #6 of 12

I would love to have a new fridge....but mine works ok and I have another in the garage....how can I talk DH into a new one??!?!! Mine is a small standard size (30"?) but I am trying to decide whether or not to build in for a larger one down the road and not have this one look silly in the hole.

DH keeps saying...."It's just the 2 of us...how much do we really need!"
icon_cry.gificon_sad.gif

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 1:21pm
post #7 of 12

You can never have too much fridge space! I am so jealous...50 feet of countertop?!!! OH MY!!!! You can have a cottage kitchen in Ohio so I wouldn't worry about the 3 compartment sink, unless you really want it. The storage space sounds terrific too. Good luck-please post pictures upon completion!!!

momnzoes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momnzoes Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 1:24pm
post #8 of 12

In my former life as a kitchen designer. I used to tell my customers to just spend a little time daydreaming- think about what would be the easiest way for you to move from one activity to another.

You want to have a good flow from your storage area (pantry, refrigerator, etc) to a landing space for al the stuff you have in your hands at one time. Then you need to think about what and how you cook- you want to keep your bowls and measuring items near where your mixer will be (in the place of honor of course).

Another consideration, and not a small one by any means, is you personally and physically. Are you 5'10" tall or 4'10"? Do you have to think about any current or possible future physical limitations? If you have a bad back, think about limiting the amount of upper cabinets you have and keep things that are heavy or bulky in lower cabinets. Rollout shelves in all bases are a given, but there are also an amazing array of pantry options- just think about the items you buy on a regular basis. One thing I can't live without is a really large spice rack-- I'm a spice collector.

I could go on and on, but you probably get the idea. Your contrator should be able to help you plan, but I'd really suggest finding a kitchen designer in your area (Home Depot and Lowe's have some good people) who can lay out the specifics with your dimensions and requirements. Of course, it also helps to find someone who knows about cooking icon_rolleyes.gif If you need any more help, PM me and I'd be glad to give you some specifics.

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 1:27pm
post #9 of 12

I am building right now and had the cabinetry set up to make a sheet pan, cake pan rack above the microwave/oven wall unit. Below the unit I have a place for pot lids (wink)

A friend has it and it is a life saver from having all those cake pans in cabinets below.

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 1:33pm
post #10 of 12

momnzoes got it right... make sure it will flow... nothing like a kitchen with a bunch of hiccups (wink)

sunlover00 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 1:36pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks to the former designer...I may be PMing you sometime! Our plans are back with the blueprint guy at the moment but i'll upload them when I get them back.

I'm luck that I currently have a 5 foot space behind my laundry room door that I use for cake pans, wrap, small boxes, etc. It's nice to be able to shut the door and no one sees the jungle.

What is the new "ergonomic" counter height? I love the new height of some of the dining room tables. Higher, but not like bar height. Should the counter come to your elbow height?

I'm going to try to keep from hanging anything over the island so that my projector will sit there nicely. Right now I have a 2.5 foot space only for it an I'm always afraid my cake is going to fall off the counter when I have to decorate on the side!

sunlover00 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 1:39pm
post #12 of 12

I would love to have a new fridge....but mine works ok and I have another in the garage....how can I talk DH into a new one??!?!! Mine is a small standard size (30"?) but I am trying to decide whether or not to build in for a larger one down the road and not have this one look silly in the hole.

DH keeps saying...."It's just the 2 of us...how much do we really need!"
icon_cry.gificon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%