Pillars And Plates

Decorating By 2txmedics Updated 23 Jun 2008 , 4:01pm by Petit-four

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 7

ok, I won a batch of like 52 pieces of plates and pillars on ebay...some are great a few a yellow...how can I clean them up, any ideas?

I read in a very good book: Wedding Cakes you can Make by Dede Wilson, that she paints her with non toxic paints, but doesnt paint the part that inserts into the cake, or covers with ribbons...and even uses a tip to pipe icing and cover them....any other ideas???

btw: this is a very good helpful book!!!!
thanks

6 replies
sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 11:23pm
post #2 of 7

I would think that if you sterilize them and sanitize so you know even though they are yellowed you are good to go you should have no issue.

Meaning if your using them for stacked cakes, who cares of they are yellowed no one is going to see them. I would think you are really taking a risk in painting them. Granted it may be non toxic paint, however if the paint chipped and I was a guest that had a chip on my cake - yeah I wouldn't be to happy about it.

You could also probably put them in a nice bleach water bath for a little while which might help brighten them up a bit.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 1:58pm
post #3 of 7

Ok, well Ive done more reading...people who have this problem on the color being a little yellow say that they add greenery or tulle...and even pipe icing on the pillards to cover it up.

Thought others might like to know. yeah wasnt too sure on the painting them even if the women said she doesnt paint them on the part that goes into the cake...and its non toxic. but I like the idea of piping icing on them.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 2:06pm
post #4 of 7

You can try letting them sit out in the sun after the bleach water bath, the sun may whiten them up some more

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 2:09pm
post #5 of 7

Here is a link to a previous thread on the same topic http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-3737713-.html#3737713

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 2:25pm
post #6 of 7

I didn't go read all the other threads so it might be mentioned there. But an old fashioned method is to brush the surface with egg white and sprinkle with sugar. Then fast forward to today and incorporate some of our glitter and glam and colors etc. There's a lot of possibilities.

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:01pm
post #7 of 7

I've also read that a decorator dipped the pillars in dark chocolate (for a chocolate iced cake).

Perhaps try a dip in white chocolate? You'd want to have cool hands when setting it up, though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%