Daughter*s First Birthday

Decorating By happy2beamom24 Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 6:49pm by crystalina1977

happy2beamom24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happy2beamom24 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 14

Hello everyone, I am a newbie to this community! icon_biggrin.gif My fourth child, Kailey Rose, will be one on the 26th of this month and I had figured I would make a baby block cake. Sounds simple enough, squares, frost...however for a six-letter name, I am thinking that for our small family of 5, this will make too much cake! Does anyone have any creative ideas for a cake theme for a first birthday? Or maybe a different idea of a block cake without having one letter per block? Hope everyone is having a fabulous day! Take care,.... thumbs_up.gif

13 replies
MeMo07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeMo07 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 14

I don't have any ideas to help you out really! It sounds like a great idea.....maybe you could freeze some of the cake? LOL.

I just wanted to say Welcome to Cake Central! (From a newbie myself icon_smile.gif)

And Happy Birthday to your little girl! (My son just turned one too!)

bartar01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bartar01 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 12:35am
post #3 of 14

What about if you spelled her name out, but put 2 letters on each block, just on adjacent sides? Where the corners face out? Like this one by cakedeco, I know I am explaining it horribly icon_rolleyes.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_65649.html

bartar01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bartar01 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 12:38am
post #4 of 14

Oh, and I forgot the most important part... WELCOME! Warning: it's an addictive place!

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:01am
post #5 of 14

I've always liked this one but never had a reason to make it. I have boys. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1185972

Good luck and welcome!

trulyjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trulyjulie Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:14am
post #6 of 14

Welcome, I'm a newbie too and took my first decorating class just waiting for my first daughter's bday next week! My baby has a favorite toy it's a doll by Carter's like a stuff animal but it's a doll. I'm planning to make a sheet cake and put a cake of the doll on top. I'm going to use the mini stand-up bear pan to make the doll. So if she has a favorite toy or lovey you could incorporate that. Good luck and welcome again.

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:22am
post #7 of 14

That is a lot of cake, but there is no thing as too much cake!!! Welcome to cakecentral! One idea is if you still want to make all those blocks make them eat a few and donate the rest to a local Vol. Fire Dept. I take cookes/practice cakes/cupcakes down there all the time and it is VERY appreciated. Its the least I could do for the people down there and its a good place to drop off my extras!

servingzero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
servingzero Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:59am
post #8 of 14

I know that you're new, but what about fondant or gumpaste? You could do an 8" round cake that has small baby blocks make of gumpaste or fondant on top with the baby's name. Then you you definately make 6 blocks, without tooooo much cake!
Just an idea. Then again, i guess the 26th is 3 days from now... 2 working days, so that's no help.

Okay. So what if you do a regular 8" round and then just freehand a 2D representation of 3D blocks on top of it, spelling out the name. That should work pretty easily.
Oh, and Welcome to CC. It's tons of fun! icon_smile.gif You can also go to the galleries tab, and choose search, type in baby blocks or whatever you're looking for and it will give you much inspiration!

lanakb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanakb Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:15am
post #9 of 14

So glad I read this thread. My little girl turns one in August and I too am making her cake, we are going basic I think. Rectangle dressed up with some of her favorite tv show characters. (In The Night Garden) I'm going to do them as chocolate transfers but I have no idea what type of cake to make let alone what filling...lol

I never even thought about a smash cake - I love the idea and will make one I think.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:38am
post #10 of 14

I there...good to have you at CC.

If you haven't done a baby block cake before, remember that they can be rather difficult...lots of carving to make the blocks square, lots of sides to smooth and corners to get sharp.

I don't want to discourage you from making the cake, but I want you to make sure that you leave yourself enough time to make it and still enjoy your sweetie's birthday. I hope it's wonderful!

nikki72905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki72905 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:40am
post #11 of 14

What if you do the initials and the number one, or just the initials of your little girl.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:40am
post #12 of 14

I've always loved the use of these blocks for the name around the base of a cake. Here is a link to a beautiful cake by another Cake Central contributor.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=736003

Oh yes, welcome, welcome, welcome to our Sweet World - you will nevver be the same.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:42am
post #13 of 14

I forgot to mention that I would make just a one layer cake with the blocks around the bottom plus a cupcake for the smash cake. That way you won't be eating cake for weeks.

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:49pm
post #14 of 14

why would it be too much cake? couldn't you make the blocks any size you wanted? Even if you made a 9x13 cake, you could cut it in two inch strips from top to bottom along the 13" side, with a one inch strip left over. Then you could get at least four two inch strips out of the 9" side with a one inch strip left. You would wind up with 24 two inch squares that you could stack 2, 3 or 4 high for the blocks. You could have extra available if you mess up, or you would have some scraps left over for cake balls...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%