Mmf Help Asap!

Decorating By LindsayLu Updated 20 Jun 2008 , 9:05pm by milissasmom

LindsayLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindsayLu Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 13

I am made a MMF and I colored it pink for a cake that I making TODAY!!!
I have been kneading it for a long time adding crisco and it will not stop tearing. I am still a beginner, but have done this at least 5 other times with no problem. I even made a new batch and the same thing is hapening! Does any one have any idea what I can do please let me know ASAP!

12 replies
ashcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashcake Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 13

You may need to add some more crisco or liquid. It sounds like it's too dry. Like you added to much PS. Have you tried putting it into the microwave for a few seconds? This helps me.

HTH

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 13

crisco and microwave... sounds dry to me too

Kitchen_Witch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitchen_Witch Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 13

Definately throw it in the microwave! I swear its like a magic wonder-box for fixing MMF problems. Tearing? Put it in the microwave. Color not mixing well? Put it in the microwave. Having a horrible day and nothing is working? Well, microwaving your MMF won't fix that but you get the idea! icon_lol.gif

LindsayLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindsayLu Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:45pm
post #5 of 13

Ok is it possible for this to be to moist. When I knead it it is tearing, but when I roll it out it stcks in big chuncks to the table when I try to lift it up. I just tried heating for a 15sec then added a tiny bit of water. No luck then I added some crisco. It is terrible! I am really starting to freak out!
What else do you guys think I shoud try???? I have been kneading forever!

ashcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashcake Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 13

Did you rub your table with crisco? This will help it from sticking to the table. I'm not sure what else to tell you. I'm more of a see and fix type person. Hope someone can help you!

kr1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kr1970 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 13

i feel you i just had the same problem- i ended up rolling it out on waxed paper and then putting it on the cake kind of like you do a FBCT- praise God! it worked i was about to have a nervous breakdown- best of luck. icon_wink.gif

kr1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kr1970 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:06pm
post #8 of 13

i feel you i just had the same problem- i ended up rolling it out on waxed paper and then putting it on the cake kind of like you do a FBCT- praise God! it worked i was about to have a nervous breakdown- best of luck. icon_wink.gif

mlharvell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlharvell Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:09pm
post #9 of 13

I would say add some water - a teaspoon at a time. That should help. Also, take a deep breath. It will all work out.

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:09pm
post #10 of 13

I don't mean to hijack someone else's thread, but I'm curious to find out the best method you guys have found for coloring MMF?

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:13pm
post #11 of 13

Funny thing, this SAME thing happened to me just last night. After kneading and kneading and kneading and rolling, adding shortening, water etc....I rolled it one more time a little thicker than I had and also LET is sit for a few minutes THEN I was able to cover the cake. Mine was not DRY tearing it was more like, if I tried to move it, it would just tear as if it were too moist!! It was a nightmare and instead of being in bed by midnight, it turned in to 2am but once I let it sit for a few (not letting it dry out of course) it finally worked! Maybe it's the weather or something????

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 8:28pm
post #12 of 13

weather has been creating havoc for me over the past 30 days. The heat and the humidity just won't go away and I am left stressing out over things that normally are second nature to me in decorating!!

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 9:05pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonald

weather has been creating havoc for me over the past 30 days. The heat and the humidity just won't go away and I am left stressing out over things that normally are second nature to me in decorating!!

I know!!!!!! Me too. I have two weddings next week and I am SO nervous because I am certain something is going to go wrong!!!!!!!!!! And I have never been nervous like this over a cake! I have wasted so much time dealing with weather related issues over the past few weeks! Heat and humidity simply SUCK for some of us decorators!!! icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%