How To Transport A 2-Tier Stacked Cake?

Decorating By sugardaze Updated 20 Jun 2008 , 10:40pm by milissasmom

sugardaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardaze Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 19

Good morning all.

I have to transport a 2-tier stacked cake (6" & 8"). My first stacked cake. What measures should i take to ensure it arrives safely?

18 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 19

Use SPS.
SPS = Single Plate Separator. It's a system by BakeryCrafts. There are lots of threads about it.
If you PM me with your email (don't forget the email) I will send you instructions.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:35pm
post #3 of 19

I'm chicken....I delivery all my cakes separate and assemble on site...it takes a little longer but my nerves from transporting are less frazzeled.

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 19

I usually put a long dowel through the whole cake. That usually keeps it from shifting during transport. And, DRIVE SLOW!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 19

If you all use the SPS like Leahs says you can drive like a bat out of .. well you know.. with a 2 tiered stacked cake in back of a slanted minivan LMAO icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:50pm
post #6 of 19

Yeah, we never drive slow. SPS rocks my world.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 19

We gave the system a good test, I did a 3 tiered stacked cake, put it in a large cardboard shipping box (with eggshell foam & shelf liner) and literally stuck the cake in the bed of the truck pulling a trailor and drove over 3 hours. Hubby drove normal, there were bad roads, railroad tracks, lots of vibration.

Cake arrived safe and sound.

cerobs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cerobs Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 4:36pm
post #8 of 19

how much does the sps cost?

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:27pm
post #9 of 19

I use bubble tea straws and foamcore boards under the tiers. dowel well and drive a center dowel thru also. works great and cheap!

anku Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anku Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 7:02pm
post #10 of 19

Like Sharon even I use Bubble tea straw and put a dowel in the middle. This keep the cake pretty secure. On the van I have put the shelf liners which helps in keeping the cake from slipping or moving!

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 7:13pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by anku

Like Sharon even I use Bubble tea straw and put a dowel in the middle. This keep the cake pretty secure. On the van I have put the shelf liners which helps in keeping the cake from slipping or moving!

Was wondering where to purchase these Bubble tea straws at?? And what do they look like???

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 7:22pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Yeah, we never drive slow. SPS rocks my world.

lol...You have no idea how much easier you made my life by giving me this info Leahs!!!!!!!!!!! I love SPS icon_smile.gif The easiest thing I ever incorporated into my business!! And it's not too expensive either!! Even if it were....It's seriously worth every penny!!

buffim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buffim Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 7:28pm
post #13 of 19

I got my bubble tea straws at the cake decorating store by my house, but if you have a bubble tea store close to your house you could ask them too! Bubble tea straws are a much wider and stronger than a regular straw. (they are also easier to cut than dowels...)

I have used the straws for up to a 4 tier cake, and have done the centre dowel, but only usually on a taller cake, or one that looked like it was a bit unsturdy.

One thing that was recommended to me was that if you are covering the cake in fondant, put in your 'dowels' (or straws) and then put some melted white chocolate in the space that you are going to put the next layer in. Then put the next layer on and press down a bit. This really helps the board from the cake on top to not move. I've found it pretty helpful.

brogi2baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brogi2baker Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 7:33pm
post #14 of 19

I always us a non skid mat as well and have transported with out worry that way.

brogi2baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brogi2baker Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 7:33pm
post #15 of 19

I always us a non skid mat as well and have transported with out worry that way.

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 7:51pm
post #16 of 19

I dowel the cake (one through the whole thing, too) and make sure it is quite chilled from refrigeration. It is nice and solid and less apt to move around when it is chilled.

sugardaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardaze Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 7:51pm
post #17 of 19

Thank you for all your posts...definitely incorporate all of your suggestions.

leah_s Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 8:56pm
post #18 of 19

You guys make cakeing too hard.
I use SPS.
It's cheap and easy to get (by mail.)
It's simple and easy to use.
You don't have to cut dowels.
You don't have to drive a stake thru the heart of your cake.
The legs can not shift under the board like dowels can.
I don't drive slow, we're not even any more careful than usual driving.
I use it frequently to support 6 tiers.
You can transport whatever you can lift, already assembled.

I charge my brides a $20-$30 equipment fee (depends on the size of the cake) that pays for the SPS. I tell them, "Without the equipment your cake will fall down." No objections.

I like simple. I like easy. I like cheap. I especially like effective.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 10:40pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

You guys make cakeing too hard.
I use SPS.
It's cheap and easy to get (by mail.)
It's simple and easy to use.
You don't have to cut dowels.
You don't have to drive a stake thru the heart of your cake.
The legs can not shift under the board like dowels can.
I don't drive slow, we're not even any more careful than usual driving.
I use it frequently to support 6 tiers.
You can transport whatever you can lift, already assembled.

I charge my brides a $20-$30 equipment fee (depends on the size of the cake) that pays for the SPS. I tell them, "Without the equipment your cake will fall down." No objections.

I like simple. I like easy. I like cheap. I especially like effective.

My thoughts exactly!!!!!!!!!! Made my life SO much easier! It's one less thing I have to worry about!!! A no-brainer!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%