How Close To Exact Number Of Servings? Help!

Business By chelley325 Updated 20 Jun 2008 , 4:18pm by -K8memphis

chelley325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelley325 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:50pm
post #1 of 6

How close do you try to come to the exact number of servings needed for a cake? To you err under or over? This is my first cake made for an actual event and not for immediate family, so I really want to get it right. There are 37 people that RSVP's, and 2 maybe's... so most would be 39.

Also, I have seen that many people go by Wilton's estimates and others recommend the link to Earlene's Cakes. They are drastically different, so I have no idea which to use as a guide and my head is spinning!. I am making 2 square cakes, if that helps.

Help a newbie! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:10pm
post #2 of 6

So many variables, my friend. Will they serve the whole cake? Not saving top tier for anniversary?

Ok, first of all, it is up to the client to determine how much cake they wanna buy. So they want 39 servings? Because next time if you leave it up to yourself to provide enough to cover their need, that's an unreasonable expectation. See what I mean? So next time you nail them down as to what they want.

So you need to determine what size serving you want to provide. I tell folks that they are getting approximately a cupcake size amount with fillings added, that's a 1x2x4 inch slice. So if they want to serve a larger portion, they buy more cake.

Are you doing one layer or two layer square cakes?

chelley325 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the response. It's for a wedding shower, so the entire cake(s) will be served. This is a gift, as I have known the bride for 15 years, so I'm not charging for it. And I was planning on 2 layer square cakes.

Even if I had given options upfront, which guide should I go by?? They are so very different!

-K8memphis Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:08pm
post #4 of 6

It's your call. I go by Wilton's but err on the side of more servings provided. So my cake servings straddle the charts there I guess.

Two layers sounds good because those charts are based on two layer cakes. You won't go wrong with an 8x5 or a 9x6 square. A 10x7 or 10x6 is getting kinda big for squares.

One of the keys to successfully serving this cake is the crumble factor. A freshly baked cake tends to loose servings due to crumbliness ergo lost servings. So a lot depends on what kind of cake you're making and when you are making it too. Box mix or scratch etc.

chelley325 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the input. I had been planning a 9x6, but then started doubting myself given the differences in charts.

-K8memphis Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 6

But man, here's the greater question: How'd you get that many people to rsvp? I mean I know I don't rsvp like I should. icon_redface.gif You've either got a lot of Emily Post majors or you made it easy on 'em or people in Ohio understand french better?

icon_lol.gif

(Respondez vous s'il vous plait)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%