I Don't Normally Post Photos, But....

Decorating By ShortcakesSweets Updated 22 Jun 2008 , 2:54am by ShortcakesSweets

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 12:16am
post #1 of 11

....I just added several cakes to My Photos. I'm not fishing for compliments, just would appreciate some feedback. Thanks for looking.

10 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:04am
post #2 of 11

Your cakes are beautiful! I especially like the babyshower one.

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 4:24am
post #3 of 11

Good stuff! I love the chocolate jungle cake, but by far the most simplistic ane beautiful is the baptism one, great choice of color and simple deco for a such a striking picture icon_smile.gif
Keep it up! thumbs_up.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 7:34am
post #4 of 11

o.k...i'm gonna say this all together because i can't remember which one goes with what cake.
your flowers are great. i love the wedding cake with the daisies...very nice...flowers and all. the cornelli lace...try taking your time and making it closer together and the smaller the tip, the nicer it looks. for the piping on the borders...concentrate on keeping a straight line...don't try to follow the edge of the cake. i use to do that a lot and found that my edges were crooked, but then i just focused on a straight line. i noticed you do a lot of sheet cakes. that's probably all i did when i was over seas. here's one thing i learned...less is not best. when you have a plain white canvas, you want to cover it with a lot of detail. for example...and i really don't want to do this...show my old, beginner cakes, but if it will help others, why not. don't laugh though.(lol) icon_confused.gificon_surprised.gificon_rolleyes.gif

was that too much??? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif just thought i'd share from my trials and errors.

icon_smile.gif
LL

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 7:37am
post #5 of 11

oh...forget to say...the pictures on the left are the trials and errors and the ones on the right are what i learned from the trials and errors!! thumbs_up.gif

ShortcakesSweets Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks for the helpful hints. Just curious if anyone else has thoughts. Doesn't hurt to get as many opinions as possible.

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:52pm
post #7 of 11

i think you are doing an amazing job and you should feel confident in posting pictures...i post pictures because i'm proud of my work, but also, if there is something i'm doing not so well on, i want to be told; it seems like you're open for suggestions also, so that's a great start.

i think your cakes are evidence that you have the raw talent necessary. the things that i saw that could use a few tips are:

on the baby shower cake with the bear, the piping lines are a bit crooked. if you do that, next time, wait until it crusts then take the edge of your knife and it should just lift off..do it again, and it's all good. i see small bits of cake through the icing on the sides, so you might try crumb coating a thin coat, put it in the freezer for 10 or 15 mins, then re-ice with a thicker coat. the cake also looked like it domed on the top, so try to always cut off that part...yummy cake scraps!!..or as i insist, it's just quality control!! on the other hand, you did a wonderful job on the bear...she's cute as a button!!

on the family birthday cake with a ring of purple roses, the roses turned out wonderfully!!! the leaves look great, but maybe you could make them a little more bunched or denser up close to the flower itself...maybe even try draping a few down over the sides. you've got your border on that cake down pat, and should be very proud. i mostly work in fondant, and i suck at borders!!!

the only other thing i recommend is to NOT use aluminum foil on your boards. it wrinkles and bulges too easily, and is easily cut when the cake is being served. i like to go to the craft store or dollar general, or even yard sales, and buy different pattern of scrapbook paper or gift wrap paper. then go to home depot and buy a large roll of transparent contact paper. each tier of cake should be on a undecorated cake board with a layer of that contact paper. then the whole cake should sit on a bottom board that is decorated with the themed paper,covered over top with the contact paper....then you don't have to worry about grease stains or your knives cutting into it.

(btw;;;i'm sure there are some who will jump on here about the food safety of contact paper...guaranteed. i don't feel that there is anything wrong with it myself, and have never had a single concern voiced by my clients.)

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:53pm
post #8 of 11

i think you are doing an amazing job and you should feel confident in posting pictures...i post pictures because i'm proud of my work, but also, if there is something i'm doing not so well on, i want to be told; it seems like you're open for suggestions also, so that's a great start.

i think your cakes are evidence that you have the raw talent necessary. the things that i saw that could use a few tips are:

on the baby shower cake with the bear, the piping lines are a bit crooked. if you do that, next time, wait until it crusts then take the edge of your knife and it should just lift off..do it again, and it's all good. i see small bits of cake through the icing on the sides, so you might try crumb coating a thin coat, put it in the freezer for 10 or 15 mins, then re-ice with a thicker coat. the cake also looked like it domed on the top, so try to always cut off that part...yummy cake scraps!!..or as i insist, it's just quality control!! on the other hand, you did a wonderful job on the bear...she's cute as a button!!

on the family birthday cake with a ring of purple roses, the roses turned out wonderfully!!! the leaves look great, but maybe you could make them a little more bunched or denser up close to the flower itself...maybe even try draping a few down over the sides. you've got your border on that cake down pat, and should be very proud. i mostly work in fondant, and i suck at borders!!!

the only other thing i recommend is to NOT use aluminum foil on your boards. it wrinkles and bulges too easily, and is easily cut when the cake is being served. i like to go to the craft store or dollar general, or even yard sales, and buy different pattern of scrapbook paper or gift wrap paper. then go to home depot and buy a large roll of transparent contact paper. each tier of cake should be on a undecorated cake board with a layer of that contact paper. then the whole cake should sit on a bottom board that is decorated with the themed paper,covered over top with the contact paper....then you don't have to worry about grease stains or your knives cutting into it.

(btw;;;i'm sure there are some who will jump on here about the food safety of contact paper...guaranteed. i don't feel that there is anything wrong with it myself, and have never had a single concern voiced by my clients.)

ShortcakesSweets Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:19am
post #9 of 11

Thanks. Great suggestions!! I really do hate using foil to cover boards with because its ugly and the cutting problem, but didn't know what else to do.
I forgot to add that the Baby Shower cake with the 3D Bear was mostly done by my daughter. She had just completed Course II when I was doing that cake, I got sick in the middle of it and she finished it for me. It wasn't a paid cake and I thought the practice would do her good. But she hasn't done one since then.

joaaaann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joaaaann Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:49am
post #10 of 11

I say you certainly have your flowers 'down pat'..great job. My favorites are the beach cake, (it just looks so yummy!) also I love the stacked daisy cake and the stacked white and pink basket weaved cake. I could tell the difference between your writing in the beginning and your more-improved recent writing. icon_smile.gif I love making sheet cakes but haven't made many lately so I'm glad to see more of them posted here. I also enjoy working with buttercream more than with fondant because it gets more mouth watering reactions when looked at I think. icon_rolleyes.gif So I just say 'you're doing great thumbs_up.gif ' and probably would only suggest to change the the cake board it's presented on too. I agree with the above as well, as far as the contact paper goes icon_wink.gif

ShortcakesSweets Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 2:54am
post #11 of 11

Thanks again, everyone. I really want to get better at cake decorating and I greatly appreciate y'alls help.
I always see flaws when I do a cake but my family and friends are always saying "It looks great." I appreciate their compliments, but I want to learn all I can and do better.
The daisy wedding cake was my first attempt at a complete fondant cake. My niece actually designed the cake and requested all fondant. The beach cake was for the same wedding and I had more design freedom on it, all they requested was beach-themed. I had a lot of fun with that cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%