Omg!!! Totally Choked =O(

Decorating By noosie Updated 23 Jun 2008 , 12:01am by annacakes

noosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosie Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 15

Hey Guys,

A few weeks ago I posted about a great opportunity that came my way. A Master Chef in one of the posh hotels where I live saw my website and asked me if I would like to be their in-house cake decorator. I already have a part-time job, my cake business, two kids and the class mom. Despite all this I went in for a "cake test". I was asked to assemble and decorate a 3 tier wedding cake with different designs on each tier. First 14" fondant, second all buttercream and third, a combo of both. I knew going in my piping skills basically suck. I've never taken a course and basically have been winging it. It took me about 5 hours and the end result looked so amateurish and unprofessional it was EMBARRASSING!!!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

He was so nice but explained with some of their Bridezillas my skills didn't cut it. Oh well I tried, but I learned two things. Kudos to all who know how to pipe I admire your ability and second this was truly a humbling experience. icon_redface.gif

Thanks for listening.

14 replies
cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 11:24pm
post #2 of 15

Well, your other skills rock! thumbs_up.gif Not everyone does 00 piping and not everyone does the type of work you do; I'll bet if you want to be a piping maven, with practice, you'll rank up there right along with others, but don't you dare knock your terrific work!

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 15

Sorry that happened! You do great work though!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 15

Oh, noosie, I wondered if you got the job or not..... I'm thinking with all the other things on your plate, maybe this was for the best..... You can't "be there" for EVERYONE 100% of the time......... Hone your skills a little more, and let the kids get a little older, and then GO FOR IT..... you are SOOO talented.... just give it some time....... ((( HUGS ))))

pjmw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjmw Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 15

Amen cheeseball! Your work is great, this just wasn't your gig. Keep on doin' what you do because it looks good!

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 11:44pm
post #6 of 15

OH, I am sorry you didn't get the job. You have to give yourself credit for trying and being willing to make a change, that is not always easy icon_wink.gif Your work is wonderful despite the bridezillas thumbs_up.gif

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 11:55pm
post #7 of 15

well i am sorry you didn't get the position...but like said before me...you have alot to focus on already and nobody but nobody can take your talents from you....sometimes i wonder if i can do a good job working in a bakery for demanding people....and under such sometimes stressful situations....not that i don't have some those moments at home..but its different when you have some in charge breathing down your neck!!!
i am glad you had a great time learning from the expirence...when its your turn your time will come...u are needed for other things right now!!! i know i am....who would watch my monkies??? hahahaahahaha!!!!! you are awesome!!!! keep up the great work!!!!!!!

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 11:55pm
post #8 of 15

Gosh,that stinks!Your cakes are amazing! icon_biggrin.gif even if you can't pipe.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 12:01am
post #9 of 15

Do not let this deter you from the fact that your work is awesome!!!!!! I would never attempt and couldn't come close to creating the cakes in your pics!!! So you can't pipe well .... at this point ..... but you do work that many of us (ok, well, ME anyway!) can't do at all!

cvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvigil Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 12:44am
post #10 of 15

First off, wow to your work. 2nd I don't think I would have even had the courage to try. Your cakes are truly amazing. I don't know if I will ever get even close to what you can do.

brnrlvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brnrlvr Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:41am
post #11 of 15

You know, that is so funny because your work IS TRULY amazing!

I can't pipe a rose to save my life! I keep praying I get brides that are into non-traditional cakes!! icon_smile.gif

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:38pm
post #12 of 15

I don't think that Picasso would be deterred if he discovered he couldn't copy the work of .... Da Vinci, you know? Two different styles. You have great talent. You are not required to be just like...someone else. Go after YOUR dream using your incredible ability!

Muse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Muse Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:27pm
post #13 of 15

This could be a blessing in disguise. It sounds like it would've spread you pretty thin if you had gotten it.

Darci

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 4:05pm
post #14 of 15

Well said ziggytarheel!
I was just thinking that myself. The bakeries and hotels have to be able to do copy work - it's expected.
But when you're an 'independent artist' icon_smile.gif you can create, not just copy - and you are a creating fiend!!! Love your work!
Let's see them fancy bridezilla cakers make a sculpted Lightning McQueen!

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 12:01am
post #15 of 15

Piping is all about practice. There are very few people who come by it naturally...most of us need to work at it long and hard to "get it". And you will. Your cakes are wonderful.

Make up a batch of bc every week and spend time on it. You'll be amazed at how quickly you improve.

Since you didn't get the job, you will have the time to practice your piping skills.

Good Luck.

Anna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%